Sunday, April 3, 2011

Objectively racist

The left, of course.  If Utah polygamists or southern fundamentalists did these things towards women, the cries of outrage would be deafening.   Muslims in the middle east?  [crickets]
Furthermore, when an Iranian woman was sentenced to be stoned to death last summer, and when a fourteen year old Bangladeshi girl was recently lashed to death for being raped by her cousin, you could pretty much hear crickets from the MSM because those were pesky, politically incorrect stories that didn’t fit their multicultural narrative. (Not to mention, you probably won’t hear that much about the woman who was recently raped by Gaddafi’s thugs in Libya either.)
It's nothing new to most of you, and is quite frankly tedious.  It's also precisely the sort of reason that I won't call myself a "liberal" anymore, although I grew up pretty liberal.  It's no longer about principles (if indeed it ever was), but rather about which groups get favored treatment.

I guess it's become "bros before hoes".

Bah.  What I still find astonishing is that these people - Matt Yglesias, Naomi Wolf, etc - so puff themselves up with presumed moral superiority.  I guess that this just shows that my imagination is limited, or my value structure isn't sufficiently plastic.

Reading this sort of thing, I can't help but think about the attitudes of late 19th Century intellectuals towards "colonials" (what we would today call inhabitants of the "third world").  Truly open-minded intellectuals would rise above the petty, crude racism of their day, but still end with a shrug.  What would you expect, old boy?  Wogs, what?

Today's leftists seem to practice precisely the same sort of dismissal.  Female genital mutilation?  What would you expect, old boy?  Cultural milieu, what?

To me, this seems objectively racist.

1 comment:

Guffaw in AZ said...

On the money! It never ceases to amaze me how the same folks who cry 'unjustice!' for one group, ignore another, because it doesn't fit into, or contradicts their agenda. Translation (by me): "We don't need to concern ourselves with (Pol Pot, Rwanda, Tieneman Square, Cuba, Venezuela, yatta-yatta) because it's OUR ultimate agenda."