Sunday, April 3, 2011

Battlefield preparation

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but by how high be bounces when he hits bottom.
- George S. Patton
The spring in the first sod cutter broke.  The man at the rental place didn't have another, so he gave us a garden tiller.  That just sort of drove around on the top of the sod, doing dough nuts and having a good time.  A second rental company has another sod cutter.  That breaks, too.

Can't do it later this week  - I leave on a trip Tuesday.  Time for sterner measures.


The trick, of course, is that the infantry needs to close with the enemy, and risk taking casualties.  That takes disciplined infantry, but the Borepatch clan is nothing if not disciplined.

OK, I went to the rental place a fourth time, and this time it worked.


The sod still needs to be policed up by #1 Son and #2 Son, but the  rose garden is ready to plant.

A good plan, violently executed now is better than a perfect plan, executed when Borepatch is traveling during the week.*
- George Patton
* I seem to have an oddly specific version of that quote.

5 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

"A good plan, violently executed now is better than a perfect plan, executed when Mr. Borepatch is traveling during the week."

I used that very quote yesterday, interestingly enough, although without your name in it. Were your ears burning?

bluesun said...

[citation needed]

Hat Trick said...

Tell Mrs. Borepatch that looks to be a mighty ambitious rose garden.

Who were the spectators/supervisors using the two camp chairs? I would have handed them spades and shovels when the first sodcutter broke down. :-)

Bobby Nations said...

I did that the hard way with a square shovel one time. Repeat, one time. Now, I just spritz with Roundup and await the great dying. Had to do it that time because I needed the sod to fill in some gaps in another part of the yard.

My hat's off to ya.

JD said...

why am I reminded of Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

They said I couldn't build a castle here but I did, and it sank into the swamp, so I built a second castle, it burned then sank into the swamp. But the third Castle, that stood. . . or something like that