Wednesday, June 8, 2016

This is why we can't have nice things on the Internet

Because people don't do the technology equivalent of fixing a ripped screen door or peeling paint:
Millions of services that ought to be restricted are exposed on the open internet, creating a huge risk of hacker attack against databases and more. 
... 
Millions of systems on the internet offer services that should not be exposed to the public network. The survey uncovered 15 million nodes appearing to offer telnet (usually unencrypted), 11.2 million appearing to offer direct access to relational databases, and 4.5 million apparent printer services.
Le sigh.

Telnet has been known to be Double Plus Ungood for about 25 years.  And remote access to 11 Million databases?  Gah.

Me, I recommend drinking heavily.

1 comment:

R.K. Brumbelow said...

No telnet? How am i supposed to chane my .pine settings then? Next you are going to tell me I should not be using my WYSE 60 terminal to gopher search. Should I upgrade to Lynx and use altavista or the world wide web worm now that there are more than 3 pages not at CERN.

Yeah it has been a long day.