Monday, December 3, 2012

The new generation of crooners

Here in Camp Borepatch we're huge fans of the crooners of the 1940s - 1960s.  Dean Martin is my favorite, but that's a matter of taste - #2 Son is partial to Bing Crosby.  In the '90s Harry Connick tried to bring this back single handedly, but never got the air time I thought he deserved.

Living out of touch with all things hip as I am wont to do, I hadn't realized that there is a sensation out there called Michael Bublé. Young, handsome, and with an outstanding voice very much in the Dean Martin tradition. And narrow neckties for his suits.

Just how out of touch am I?  He's won three Grammys and sold 30 Million records.  For the rest of you who are as out of touch as I, here he is doing a great old Bing Crosby Christmas number with one of my favorite Country singers, Kellie Pickler.

11 comments:

Old NFO said...

Good one! And I hadn't heard of him either!

Paladin said...

Been a fan for YEARS.

Hey... wait a minute. Does this mean I'm ahead of the curve on something?

greg said...

Mmmm...Kelly Pickler.

John said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjaZNYSt7o0

San Diego Wedding Photographer said...

Oh! Michael Buble is such a wonderful artist!! It reminds me of Richard Poon from the Philippines.

doubletrouble said...

Kid's good!
(I didn't know who he was, either.)

Dave H said...

I'd never head of him until I saw him in a Starbucks commercial. Not really my thing, but the kid's got talent.

Opinionated Grump (Rich in NC) said...

I think he is more like Frank Sinatra was in his prime than Dean. At any rate, he is really great. My Honey and I have seen him in both Vegas and AC.
Rich in NC

Anonymous said...

He is awesome.

Remember the horrible old Spiderman cartoon when you were a kid?

This guy takes the theme song for that cartoon, applies a 100 piece big band orchestra to it - and he makes it swing. Give it a listen and you will be in for a treat and a smile.

JM

c w swanson said...

You should check out the story of how he got famous - a real rags to riches story. And don't say there is nothing cool about this style until you see the girl he scored as a wife, she's a drop dead gorgeous Argentine super model.

Weetabix said...

Great bunch of singers you're listening to. Check out The Best of Manhattan Transfer, also.