Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Washington Post has a Security Blog?

Who knew? But it's pretty darn good. I haven't run across Brian Krebs before, but he has a series of investigations going back months, that provides a great layman's introduction to cyber crime. For example, Digital Forgeries:
For example, let's say I'm a scammer and I've just gained access to someone's online account and I want to move their funds to my own account. The victim's institution says, "Hold on there, cowboy. In order to prove you are who you say you are, we'll need to see a scanned copy of your driver's license and a utility bill with your name and address on it." At scanlab, those images would cost me about $60 total ...
Perhaps it's a reflection as to how jaded (even suspicious) to things MSM-ish, but this is really good journalism. Kudos to the WaPo for investing in this sort of thing - we need a broader public than security geeks like me.

Added to the Blogroll.

No comments: