Friday, August 15, 2008

Quick note on Beretta triggers

I've been pretty hard on Beretta, talking smack on their triggers not once, but twice. Well, in the cold clear light of dawn evening, I've decided that this is not a bug, but a feature.

Specifically, it's probably what Col. Jeff Cooper refers to as a two-stage or military trigger (The Art of the Rifle, p.55):
With the two stage trigger, the initial movement of the trigger must be achieved before the actual firing pressure is applied. This first movement of the trigger, which may be as much as a quarter of an inch in some cases, is lightly sprung and is referred to as "take-up" ... I prefer a two-stage trigger to a single stage, partly because I think that it is mechanically more reliable, but mainly because I grew up on the militry trigger and find it more comfortable.
So what I thought was a "spongy" trigger seems to be a two-stage one. I'm a bit humbled to find my self in disagreement with Col. Cooper, but I didn't spend part of my youth at Uncle Sam's summer camps, and he did.

I recall that he had a lot to say about the Beretta 92 (much of it not particularly complimentary) in To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth. I'll look though it and see if he, too, complains of the Beretta's trigger.

In any case, I think I'll try it again with an open mind.

1 comment:

doubletrouble said...

Unclesam@summercamp.gov runs the BEST in warm weather fun!

Imagine spending your high school senior year trip in a warm jungle paradise far from monotonous civilization!

Feel the cool breezes as they waft by your face as you descend into the darkness from 3000 feet!

Savor the silky coolness of standing waist deep in a swamp!

Experience the revitalizing excitement of people you don’t know shooting at you!




Nah, just skip summer camp if you can…



PS- I’ll get back to you on the electron business in a day or so.