Sunday, August 3, 2008

Foodblogging

Since it looks like everyone's cooking today, I'll toss in my two cent's worth.

I grew up with two brothers and no sisters, so a phrase that was verboten in our house was "women's work". When I figured out that I liked to eat (my teenage years), I started to figure out how to cook. This is probably a good example for #1 and #2 sons, as they have no sisters, like to eat, and are teenagers. As you can tell, it's usually exciting around Chez Borepatch.

Since weekdays are often iffy, I like to do more regular cooking on weekends, including Dad's Greasy Sunday Brunch. Usually pancakes on the griddle, with bacon (yummm!) and eggs. Panckes are interesting, because there's a ton of things you can do - berries, chocolate chips, lemon and powdered sugar instead of maple sirup, etc.

Batter:
  • 2 cups flower
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • Half a teaspoon baking sugar
  • Half a teaspoon salt.
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 and a half cups milk
Stir to combine. Don't over stir, and let it set for 5-10 minutes for the liquid to get absorbed.

We don't need your steenkin Bisquick.

Today, though, I took a walk on the wild side - Waffles. Same ingredients, only add third of a cup of sugar. Takes longer, especially if you need to make enough for 2 teenage boys (no six-at-a-time on the griddle here ...).

And Holey Moley, this is some good bacon. Some wicked good, as they say in New England. Almost no shrinkage, so pound for pound on the plate it's probably not more expensive that the supermarket brands.

No comments: