Thursday, September 22, 2011

Security ProTip: Hack your GM car

GM seems to think that a couple extra bucks from sleazy Insurance Companies is worth more than their customer's good will.  Ooooh kaaaay then.

Everyone, it seems, is posting about how OnStar® collects your location and speed data, which GM shares with the government and sells to other companies.  OnStar® essentially is a spy tracking device in your car, with no way for you to opt out.

Except, of course, the OnStar® SpyTrackR™ is electronic.  It needs power.

Security ProTip: if you unplug the power to the OnStar® SpyTrackR™ it won't spy on you.  ASM826 shows you how to do it.  Looks like it will take you 15 minutes, with basic tools.

Hack your car.  You'll be glad you did.

9 comments:

Jay G said...

I've got a better solution: Don't buy *ANYTHING* from GM.

And if you have a GM, sell it.

ASM826 said...

Jay,

That was my first advice. Don't own GM. But like being stuck in Massachusetts, some people are stuck with a GM car.

ASM

deadcenter said...

and begin countdown to federal legislation making it a felony to disconnect power from Onstar and other on-board GPS tracking systems, with exemptions for law enforcement and legislators, at T-minus...

DaddyBear said...

deadcenter stole my thunder.

Like the laws that make using a seatbelt mandatory instead of a good idea, or disconnecting all of the environmental equipment on your car, I can easily see some dimbulb making disconnecting On-Star illegal.

It sure would save the government money in having to sneak into the driveway to glue something to the inside of the fender, wouldn't it? We're all for public safety and fiscal responsibility, aren't we?

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

My preferred method of hacking this would be literal - take it out of the car and "hack" it with an axe.

Resale value doesn't really concern me all that much. I'd rather drive it until it stops.

NotClauswitz said...

Glad I have a Ford...until we find out about the Secret Ford Thingy...

SiGraybeard said...

I'm with Jake. When I first heard about this, I thought "I have a battery powered drill". I have a variety of metalworking saws and other tools. I can make enough holes that I can guarantee I'm going to break something.

Do you really want to make me?

Borepatch said...

Hmmm ... what caliber for OnStar®?

Angus McThag said...

Pull the 10amp fuse, OnStar all gone. You can get your bluetooth cell link back with aftermarket bits. Service manuals are your friend, why don't you have one for your car?

Unplugging the module is more than you have to do.

What's the procedure to disable SYNC? C'mon Ford guys! Waiting...