Saturday, October 16, 2010

Oh Stewardess, I Speak Jive

Dad emails to tell me that Barbara Billingsley - Mrs. Cleaver from Leave It To Beaver - has passed on at the age of 94.

I guess that this is the time to let you in on my secret: my Christian name is Theodore.  Just like the Beaver.  Growing up in the 1960s, you didn't find many TV personalities named Theodore, especially ones who played mischievous kids around my age.

I always had a very, very soft spot in my heart for Mrs. Cleaver.

Younger readers will remember Mrs. Billingsley from her cameo appearance in Airplane.



God Speed, Mrs. Billingsley.  Thank you for what you meant to this young lad.

2 comments:

Home on the Range said...

I have probably seen every episode of that show several times.

She was a class act, in every respect.

Thanks for the phone call, hoping the house transition goes smoothly.

Paladin said...

June had style... even while vacuuming the house or making breakfast. Truly a TV and cultural Icon.