Monday, June 2, 2014

Facebook listens to you

OK, then:
A new opt-in audio recognition program listens to what mobile users are hearing — via TV, radio, etc. — and suggests a status update when it recognizes the sound.

...

Facebook could use the data to recognize a TV show, for example, in order to deliver related ads on the social platform. On the flipside, Facebook could offer that data to TV partners that want to deliver targeted ads in real time based on when users on Facebook are watching.
What could possibly go wrong?  Even a marketing rag considers the downside:
Still, there's also the possibility that the idea that Facebook is listening in could creep out a significant number of users.
Gee, ya think?  I'm not even a user (can't remember the last time I logged in to Facebook) and I'm totally creeped out:
The National Security Agency is harvesting huge numbers of images of people from communications that it intercepts through its global surveillance operations for use in sophisticated facial recognition programs, according to top-secret documents.
But fear not, Citizen.  Facebook doesn't share data with the NSA.  Oh, wait:
The National Security Agency has obtained direct access to the systems of Google, Facebook, Apple and other US internet giants, according to a top secret document obtained by the Guardian.

...

In the document, the NSA hails the Prism program as "one of the most valuable, unique and productive accesses for NSA".

It boasts of what it calls "strong growth" in its use of the Prism program to obtain communications. The document highlights the number of obtained communications increased in 2012 by 248% for Skype – leading the notes to remark there was "exponential growth in Skype reporting; looks like the word is getting out about our capability against Skype". There was also a 131% increase in requests for Facebook data, and 63% for Google.
Wonder if they'd want to know if you listened in to "right wing hate" talk radio, or maybe "domestic terrorist" Squirrel Report?  I don't.

But it's awesome how it's free, isn't it?


You know, I'm reminded why I can't remember the last time I logged into Facebook.

5 comments:

Matt W said...

And it is times like these I feel like closing my Facebook account. Probably my YouTube, Google + , Gmail, and many other accounts as well.

Hell, in reality I'd pretty much have to drop off the internet all together.

Dave H said...

I quit using Facebook because it kept trying to link me up to people I don't like.

Prophetic, huh?

NotClauswitz said...

I can't remember the first tiem I logged-in - I've avoided Facehook since the outset, and I deleted my Linked-in crap-acccount too.

joethefatman said...

That ought to creep everyone out. Glad I got rid of defacebook. Now as for my twitter habit...

Home on the Range said...

I have a facebook, only to leave comments on a family members site, and to look at their family photos. No real name no picture and it tries to link me with people I've never heard of. No thanks.