Thursday, September 19, 2013

Hypocrites

HYPOCRITE, n. One who, professing virtues that he does not respect, secures the advantage of seeming to be what he despises.
- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
I used to be a Democrat.  I used to hold elective office in the Democratic Party Apparat.  County Council, as a matter of fact.  I'm registered Independent - as I've been since the 1980s - but have never been a Republican, and have no plans to change that.

I grew up pretty liberal, as childhood friend 2cents could tell you.  Quite frankly, I'm one of the millions who think that they didn't leave the Party, the Party left them.

And that makes a difference.  While I think that the GOP is the Stupid Party, when I look at what the Democratic Party has shrunk to, the only word that comes to mind is "evil".  I mean that quite literally.

They have sold their souls to those who used to be considered their worst enemies.  They've shaved much of their souls off, and burned them as an offering on the altar of Wall Street and the Banksters.

Where I came from, that used to be called hypocrisy.

I was trained not just as an Engineer, but as an Economist, and so I understand the theories of technological advancement displacing unskilled labor, and the theories of international trade and advantage.  Indeed, I've spent my career in an industry that has benefited from that trade and America's differentiated value as we built the Internet.

And yet I never forgot that Dad was born on a kitchen table, and grew up dirt poor in the Depression.  That runs deep, to my bones - which is why I'll never be a Republican.

And yet I look at the Democratic Party, the party of Silicon Valley, Hollywood and the Recording Industry, Wall Street and Goldman Sachs, and I want to vomit.  Bill Clinton destroyed the soul of the Party; NAFTA was only the start of a long and (literally) sordid list of betrayals where bit by bit, the Party's soul was gradually sliced off until the only thing left was appetite.

Democrats love him because he won elections, but he destroyed the Middle Class.  If you haven't already, go read my last post which puts a human face on this destruction.

NAFTA was intended to pad the bottom line of the Fortune 500.  It came at the expense of the Middle Class.  The Fortune 500 contributed large amounts of money to his campaign, and to the Democratic Party.

Repeat for the Bank bailout.  Repeat for the Federal Reserve monetizing the debt and causing an inflation that the Government no longer tracks (they changed how it's counted to make it go away).  Repeat for the EPA refusing new oil drilling permits and refinery permits, causing gasoline prices to double (oops, energy isn't included in the inflation indices any more).  Repeat for SOPA and the galaxy of Intellectual Property laws that would criminalize the Middle Class, saving the RIAA the expense of tort law.

Now add in Obamacare which is gutting the 40 hour work week, and the push for "immigration reform" - bringing in between 12 and 20 Million more workers that are willing to work for lower wages than unemployed former Middle Class Americans.  Because the Powers That Be in the Democratic Party smell new votes.  Not Middle Class votes, but hey - eggs, omelets, right?

And throughout all of this, you hear an endless litany of "the Democratic Party is the party of the little guy".  The biased Media never calls them on any of this.  And I (and presumably you) are racist wingnut h8trs because we see the betrayal for what it is:

Evil.  These are real people, with real lives and dreams.  Those are being destroyed by the Democratic Party.

The Democratic Party is impoverishing the Middle Class, all the while claiming to be sticking up for it.  I have data.
O coz, coz, coz, my pretty little coz, that thou
didst know how many fathom deep I am in love! But
it cannot be sounded: my affection hath an unknown
bottom, like the bay of Portugal.
- Shakespeare, As You Like It, Act 4 Scene 1
Replace the word "love" with the word "contempt" and you will know my feelings for my former party precisely.

What's the Matter with Kansas?  What's the matter is that the good citizens there haven't strung up every Democratic politician from a lamp post.
My mother gave birth to me on the kitchen table that I ate off until adulthood.  I have always considered the humble conditions of that birth to be a distinction, one to be proud of.  In spite of the humbleness of that birth, I was able to become a university professor, author of several books and many articles, and to be blessed with marriage to a wonderful woman and father to three fine sons.  Having accomplished that from such a birth had given me bragging rights.
- Dad
He made a shift from being a Republican to a pillar of the Democratic Party because of this.  I've made the shift away from the party for exactly the same reason.  I'm not cynical or evil enough to stomach what the party has become.

7 comments:

ProudHillbilly said...

"While I think that the GOP is the Stupid Party, when I look at what the Democratic Party has shrunk to, the only word that comes to mind is "evil"."

And that's it in a nutshell.

Divemedic said...

The two parties are two sides of the same coin. They control 99% of the power, and they aren't giving it up any time soon.
Both parties are there to help themselves gain power, and not for the people they nominally serve.

Stephen said...

Wow, another out of the park...well done.

Sabra said...

As I commonly tell my best friend, the reason I am not a Democrat is because the Republican party doesn't pretend to be a friend of the little guy. (There is no such thing as a registered independent in Texas.)

Both parties have a vested interest in maintaining an underclass: the Republicans so they have someone to feel superior to; the Democrats so they have someone to feel sorry for.

Unknown said...

I will challenge your assessments, or at least offer that you didn’t go far enough. .

First, the Stupid Party; if the GOP is aware, and especially if they are not, their malfeasance in allowing the Democrat Party to perpetuate their evil antics is in itself, Evil. It's Smiling-John Boehner-in-a-nice-suit-Evil, but it's still evil.

If the GOP is aware of what the Democrat Party is and continues to operate on the basis of friendly co-existence, there's no other description for that except Evil. If the GOP isn't perceptive, or honest, enough to know what the Democrat Party is then their stupidity, with or without any Evil attached, is reason for them to no longer exist.

Second, The Democrat Party is not Evil - it's whatever is an order of magnitude worse than Evil. I don't know how to find words that adequately describe that.

I don't know what the solution to all this is. I can imagine several, and I'm at the point where I no longer believe most of them are worse options than what we now have.

Phil said...

I think you have articulated my feelings and my position quite well.
They left me. I was a Liberal Democrat for forty years and I am completely done with those jack asses. They get worse every year too.

Independent Libertarian.

The image that represents my political feelings these days is a raised middle finger.

lee n. field said...

Our choices are carefully constrained. We will never be offered the choice of a (say) Ron Paul L.

I vote R. only with reluctance.