Wednesday, November 21, 2012

BBQ Turkey

The boys asked for it, so I'm trying an experiment.  I butterflyed the bird (cut out the backbone so it lays flat) and liberally dusted it with Rudy's rub.  It's resting in the fridge until tomorrow.  Then it will be a short hot date in the oven.  Covered with bacon (because bacon!) and more rub.

It's interesting to see the rub pull moisture from the bird - it's supposed to do this, but every ounce of cooking training is screaming against that.  We'll know tomorrow.

And Kroger was packed.  At least in these parts they're open all night and all day tomorrow.  That's actually good, because I don't think I have the stuff for the orange cranberry sauce.

11 comments:

Paladin said...

Happy Thanksgiving, buddy. Enjoy the time with the Family. Lots of blessings to count all around.

Rev. Paul said...

Happy Thanksgiving, sir. Enjoy!

OMMAG said...

Rub on a fowl?

I hope it does not turn out like jerky.

For better or not ... have a good thanksgiving holiday.

OMMAG said...

Rub on a fowl?

I hope it does not turn out like jerky.

For better or not ... have a good thanksgiving holiday.

Stephen said...

I bet it turns out great. Our local Publix darn near called in traffic cops to handle the volume of zombie shoppers...I fled. Have a great Thanksgiving.

kx59 said...

sounds pretty good to me.
My question is: Do you plan to roast it covered, or uncovered?
My 2 cents would be to roast it covered, or at least in a roasting bag to retain moisture.

Happy Thanksgiving BP!

Borepatch said...

kx59, I plan to cover it with bacon.

;-)

Home on the Range said...

Enjoy every minute of that.

SiGraybeard said...

Mine is covered with sugar and spice and... apple cider vinegar. Awaiting the smoker in the morning!

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Reno Sepulveda said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Borepatch. I'm BBQing the Turkey to. It's been in the Weber for a little over an hr. now.

AuricTech said...

If you scroll down in this Food Lab post to "Brining Alternatives," you'll see the science behind how drawing moisture from the bird via salting actually helps to keep the cooked bird juicy, without seeming watered-down.