Thursday, January 15, 2009

Ricardo Montalbán, R.I.P

Ricardo Montalbán has died, at age 88. What struck me about his life was this:
He married Georgiana Young, an actress, in 1944; they had four children. She was half-sister of the actresses Sally Blane, Polly Ann Young, and Loretta Young, who nicknamed her "Georgie". After 63 years of marriage, Georgiana Young de Montalbán died on November 13, 2007, at the age of 84.
So a man as good looking as Montalbán, as successful as Montalbán, and living in the Hollywood culture - that man was married for 63 years to the same woman, until death did them part.

God speed, sir. You will be missed.

2 comments:

Home on the Range said...

It's so easy to poke fun at "fantasy island" but he was a really fine man. The marriage thing. That is something to admire.

My parents.. before my Mom died, were married many, many years. Someone said. . ."did you ever consider divorce?". My Mom said "no. . murder?. . yes. . divorce no". . and they BOTH busted up laughing.

He's remarried now, to an elderly widow who he met through church. They're happy and she's good for him. We love her and what she brought to him. But when he goes to my Mom's grave he breaks down, the grief as fresh as it was so many years ago.

I've only had one person in my whole life love me like that. If you have it, hold on to it.

Borepatch said...

Brigid, you father sounds like a Real Man in the absolute best sense of the term.

And it sounds like your Mom was a lucky woman.

It's sad that this is so rare these days.