Saturday, August 17, 2019

Don Williams - My Rifle, My Pony and Me

A couple years back, the Queen Of The World and I went on a horseback tour of Gettysburg.  Today we ride the Harley up there and take another.  The last time was from the Union lines, this time it will be from the Confederate side.  We'll trade our iron horse for the real thing, to get a view of the battle the way the soldiers of the day would have seen it.

This all reminds me of Don Williams' great old song from the film Rio Bravo.  That version was sun by Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson, but Williams voice is like silk here.  Williams sadly died a couple years ago.



My Rifle, My Pony and Me (Songwriter: Dimitri Tiomkin):
The sun is sinking in the west
The cattle go down to the stream
The redwing settles in the nest
It's time for a cowboy to dream

Purple light in the canyons
That's where I long to be
With my three good companions
Just my rifle, pony and me

Gonna hang (gonna hang) my sombrero (my sombrero)
On the limb (on the limb) of a tree (of a tree)
Comin' home (comin' home) sweetheart darlin' (sweetheart darlin')
Just my rifle, pony and me
Just my rifle, my pony and me

(Whippoorwill in the willow
Sings a sweet melody
Riding to Amarillo)
Just my rifle, pony and me

No more cows (no more cows) to be ropened (to be ropened)
No more strays will I see
Round the bend (round the bend) she'll be waitin' (she'll be waitin')
For my rifle, pony and me
For my rifle, my pony and me

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

That is a good one. And sad that he is gone.

Glen Filthie said...

I've had the good fortune to be one of the few men that has enjoyed the company of good rifles and good horses in this day and age. Just hearing that tune makes me decompress. Thanks for the toon, BP!

Probably for me, if I had it to do again... any chit house horse would do fine, right up to and including mules. I'd personally prefer an appaloosa, or a quarter or even a Morgan. And - there'd be no pea shooters or carbines that are favoured by the smooth boys of Hollywood! In my scabbard, there'd be a Remington roller in.50-90 or maybe .50-110. And if any a you horse thieves, cattle rustlers or dog robbing pole cat hoople heads tried anything funny... I'd have a Smith Scofield in some obscure calibre to maintain the peace!

Shoot straight you guys (and keep your hands where I can see 'em). :)