Monday, May 10, 2010

What on earth is wrong with Texas?

A Third Grader was given a week's detention for having a Jolly Rancher:

ORCHARD, Texas – A third-grader at Brazos Elementary was given a week’s detention for possessing a Jolly Rancher.

School officials in Brazos County are defending the seemingly harsh sentence. The school’s principal and superintendent said they were simply complying with a state law that limits junk food in schools.



The last comment from the girl's parent is spot on. Welcome to the Nanny State, kid.

Perhaps one of the readers from the Great State of Texas can help explain this. From where I sit, it looks like you're turning into Massachusetts.

UPDATE 10 May 2010 13:47: #1 Son reminds me that Jolly Rangers are a "gateway" candy:

Smoking Smarties
Tosh.0
www.comedycentral.com
Web Redemption2 Girls, 1 Cup ReactionDemi Moore Picture


Heh.

UPDATE 10 May 2010 14:02: You know, if we're going to play "stupid Zero Tolerance" games, how about this one: Any government bureaucrat who violates a citizen's rights is fired?

10 comments:

Alan said...

Unfortunately there are liberals in Texas too.

Despite repeated requests the Parks and Wildlife Department just will not issue tags for liberals.

Lissa said...

Works for me! I can homeschool kiddies for a day; I'd take that trade in a heartbeat!

wolfwalker said...

Any government bureaucrat who violates a citizen's rights is fired?

Works for me. Except ... firing may not be enough of a punishment.

soulful sepulcher said...

What flavor?

Junior high kids were expelled for giving drugs to another where I work for sharing a spray of that Binaca breath spray, not kidding.

These kind of these just create people like me, don't the higher ups ever get that?

3rd grade in the 60's I sat in the office for wearing pants to school, not the dress that was discrimanory and sexist demanded to be worn by the internal school government.

I was not allowed to return until i wore the skirt. So I wore the skirt and fish net stockings, black ones.

I'd probably be buying bags of Jolly ranchers for the teachers and principle and admin about now, like daily deliveries.

soulful sepulcher said...

PS-- I swear this blogger comment box screws up my spelling! wth, excuse the typos etc up there.

Paladin said...

I'll second Alan's comment.

I think Texas has border control issues. And I don't just mean our southern border.

Borepatch said...

Stephany, somehow I don't have any trouble imagining that! ;-)

JeremyR said...

Fired? Too nice. Tarred and feathered, then toss a match and let em run.

phlegmfatale said...

This is mortifying. I heard a bit on the news about this, but thought it HAD to be somewhere's else.

Meh.

Divemedic said...

The school’s principal and superintendent said they were simply complying with a state law that limits junk food in schools.

With all the nonsense coming out of public agencies, I believe this is retaliation for the anti-tax mood that the citizens are in. So, I believe my new policy is to vote to lower taxes every time I see it on the ballot.

If you have less money, you get into less mischief. That's pretty bad, considering that I am a government employee.