Friday, November 16, 2012

Put down the chalupa chupacabra

The semi-mythical chupacabra is said to be a mangy dog.  Well, a guy at the dog park today said that one was run over near his street.  He had pictures that he took with his iPhone.  It sure didn't look like a mangy dog to me.  It looked like this:


On Johnson's Ferry Road, in snooty East Cobb, Georgia.

Is he pulling our leg?  Maybe.  The pictures he had of chupacabra road kill looked, well, like chupacabra road kill.  He said that the Georgia State wildlife folks were on the matter.  I guess we'll see soon enough.  Or not.

9 comments:

Dirk said...

Looks hyena-ish...

Kansas Scout said...

How is that not clearly a dog?

Anonymous said...

I saw one here in Memphis driving in to work they look really weird, it's a Coyote with Mange. You can tell by the long legs. I see weirder things walking around on two legs.

goober said...

I've killed and skinned a lot of coyote in my day, so I'm more familiar with their physiology than most. I can assure you with 100% certainty that what you have here is a mangy coyote.

Animals that we are used to seeing with fur look fing weird without it. Google"bear with mange " and try not to shudder and think of the demon dogs from ghostbusters I dare you

BobG said...

I agree with goober; it looks like the coyotes I've seen.

Paladin said...

I see these on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis. Is Coyote. Is Mangy.

Suburban coyotes seem to be seen more in this condition than their kinfolk in the countryside. Mange mites get a stronger foothold in animals that have a compromised immune system (due to injury, illness, starvation, etc.) It tends to be a secondary symptom of an underlying problem. The ones in town are more likely to get advanced mange... and they are able to linger longer due to the easy meals provided by restaurants, construction sites, and garbage in general.

End result is the same, though. Eventually he'll succumb. Resistance if futile when it gets to this point.

Geodkyt said...

Coyote -- skeletal shape is, well, coyote.

Unknown said...

Yeah, 'mangy coyote' was my first thought, too.

Anonymous said...

I'll need to see a non-blurry photo of the thing actually sucking a goat before I call it a Chupacabra.

Heh, and apparently Firefox wants to call it an abracadabra.