Sunday, November 4, 2012

21 accents in 2 minutes

The southern accent was a little off, but all in all this was a pretty virtuoso performance.



It seems that Miss Walker has nearly ten million views on Youtube.  This video of hers suggests that she can do a better southern accent - certainly much better than I.  She has a number of what seem pretty interesting videos posted there.



And this is a short but sweet excerpt from Robin McNeil's "The Story Of English" describing the major American accents:



Even though I grew up in Maine, my parents were from the midwest, and so I sound very strongly Midland.  And this young man is pretty talented, offering 24 different English dialects.  The dialog is NSFW, but I love the space alien reference in the Welsh accent.  Very UK inside baseball.  Or cricket.  Or something.

5 comments:

Alan said...

The Texas one is wrong too. That's Hollywood Texas, not real Texas.

Dave H said...

The Dublin, Belfast, and Scottish accents are pretty good. The Toronto one is close but just a little slurred. The Texas one sounds like Reba McEntire, who I believe is from Oklahoma.

I grew up in the Appalachian foothills of southern Ohio, so when I'm tired (or home) I sound like I'm from West Virginia. But I lived and worked in a white collar job in central Ohio for a lot of years, so most times I'm pretty firmly Midland. I was talking to a reporter in Dallas a few years ago and she said I sounded like I was from Chicago.

Old NFO said...

Yeah, Alan's right, and concur the Southern one is off too! But not bad :-)

Anonymous said...

The South Carolina accent is definitely off, I actually WAS born in Charleston!

The Texas one seemed a bit off from what I recall, particularly from the people around Sweetwater.

The Seattle accent, (people from Seattle have an accent?) seemed a bit off, since I now live in Eastern Washington, I think she'd pass, but no one is FROM Seattle, they all move there, then after 6-7 years, they move away! 300 days of rain a year isn't any fun.

LA was off as well, she was too quick.

The English, Scottish, Irish accents....well they all sound cool!

Bill

Phyllis (N/W Jersey) said...

Interesting! ANYONE that hears me talk would know right away I'm from New Jersey! Never lost the accent - tried, but it never went away!