Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Tesla hacked - remotely and while it is in motion

Oopsie:
Chinese hackers have attacked Tesla electric cars from afar, using exploits that can activate brakes, unlock doors, and fold mirrors from up to 20 kilometres (12 miles) away while the cars are in motion. 
Keen Security Lab senior researchers Sen Nie, Ling Liu, and Wen Lu, along with director Samuel Lv, demonstrated the hacks against a Tesla Model S P85 and 75D and say their efforts will work on multiple Tesla models. 
The Shanghai, China-based hacking firm has withheld details of the world-first zero day attacks and privately disclosed the flaws to Tesla.
Here's an idea - now let's make all those things drive "autonomously".  I wonder what that word even means in a security context ...

4 comments:

Comrade Misfit said...

As I've probably said before, I'm going to run my non-connected `05 Honda until the wheels fall off.

Old NFO said...

Yep, the automotive industry is TOTALLY unprepared...

drjim said...

I'm shocked I tell you.....shocked.

No (electrical) pun intended.

I am a bit surprised that internet savvy Tesla programmers didn't even think of security features in a very smart device that's basically connected all the time....

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

"now let's make all those things drive "autonomously". I wonder what that word even means in a security context ..."

You have seen "I Robot", right?