Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Much of Baseball's charm is in the history

The World Series is now back in Boston's Fenway Park. For better or worse, the Boston fans will see a winner crowned there. With St, Louis or the Red Sox will win the series in Baseball's oldest park.

That's not the history that makes you stop and think. If the Red Sox win the series, it won't be the first time they've won it at Fenway. The last time was in 1918, and a certain Babe Ruth was brought in as a defensive substitution for the Sox.

George Herman's ghost looks on in the fens. We can imagine that he would root for his old team.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

The Czar of Muscovy said...

Agreed. 70% is its long, magnificent history; the other 30% is that baseball is actually a thinking man's game.

I've made the claim that the decline in baseball's popularity is related to the rise of the low information voter: they want flash and visuals, not strategy and reason.