Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The 13 Vendémiaire of the Government Class

The French Revolution was Utopian, in the sense that advocated a near total overthrow of traditional social structures, and replacement with rational (lucide) substitutes. For example, the calendar was entirely revamped, with different names for the months ("Brumaire" from brumme, or fog; "Vendémiaire" from vendange, or grape harvest).

This sweeping restructuring of society relied not just on the intellect of the Revolutionary leaders, but on the strong arm of enforcers to cow the opposition, and in the Paris of the 1790s, that meant the Mob.

The ancients described in detail where that led, and so it was no surprise to find the Parisian Mob lead to the Terror that devoured the leading Revolutionaries: Hébert, Danton, and finally Robespierre himself. The Royalist opposition decided that two could play at that game, and brought their own mob to Paris. On October 5, 1795 (13 Vendémiaire of the Year 3 under the new Republican calendar), a young general Napoleon Bonaparte dispersed the mob with a "whiff of grapeshot".

The American Revolution, while equally radical, had taken a very different path. It was perhaps best described as "Practical" rather than Utopian. Americans had a distrust of intellectuals then, that has continued down to this day; despite Thomas Jefferson's suggestion that the Tree of Liberty's need to be refreshed by the blood of Patriots and Tyrants, George Washington dispersed the Mob on this side of the Pond.

Blogfather JayG writes of the latter day mob, terrorizing a teenager in a Washington D.C. suburb:
This is a frightening series of events on many levels. It represents true democracy - mob rule - in that this group of goons made a concerted effort to intimidate, harass, and otherwise physically threaten someone simply on the basis of the job they perform. It's a chilling glimpse into the future where a protected class - in this case a labor union - is allowed unchecked aggression simply because they agree with the cause. There are reports that DC police accompanied the protestors - if that is the case, every single officer who was there, along with the supervisors who authorized it, should be fired and prosecuted for aiding and abetting criminal action (trespass, at the very least).
This isn't the first example, either:
It's street muscle to back up the lucidité of the Intellectual Elite, embodied in the President of Harvard Law Review the United States. And make no mistake - the intellectual elite is sympathetic: Woody Allen and Tom Friedman are waxing wistful for the Iron Grip of Dictatorship:
So, Allen and Friedman–and others who have kept their faces before us for 40 years by coasting on the work of their youth, because they’ve done nothing memorable, lately–are feeling the shifting sand beneath their feet, and they’re wondering why America can’t simply submit to a fantasy of Limited Dictatorship. It’s so inconvenient for these elites to have to deal with the noise of the bourgeoisie – commoners who presume to opine on anything and who dare to object to the incessant lecturing from their betters.
But this isn't Greece, with a history of petrol bombs in the streets and the Colonels in the Presidential Palace. Jay sums up a uniquely American* view:
If this is the direction they choose, it will lead to bloodshed. At some point there will be another "protest" like this one where someone panics and cranks some 00 buck into the crowd.
The problem that the entire Intellectual Class faces is that they are selling a Utopian world view to a country that has traditionally rejected Utopian visions. Street muscle won't help advance the cause, but will simply accelerate the collapse on the Intellectual Class and its thugs. The Mastodon Main Stream Media is doing its best to ignore these stories (and in my mind, what isn't a story is the clearest proof of media bias), but they're just accelerating their own irrelevance. With all the talk of "violent" tea partiers and all the studious ignoring of violent leftist and union goons, the story can't be bottled up.

And the story is: Americans don't like the mob, and don't like those who rely on it.

This November is the most important election of my lifetime. The American people have to show those on the margins - the do we join in the violence, or turn a blind eye to it folks - that they're on the losing side.

* Unique when compared with the rest of the world, of course. I don't believe that this is at all unique here.

11 comments:

TOTWTYTR said...

The mob could get away with that in Maryland and some other states. In Oklahoma, Texas, or even Nebraska, not so much. In those states, home owners have the right to defend themselves and their property. Which is one reason why you see that crap in Maryland, DC, and even here in the People's Republic of MA, but not in some other states.

SiGraybeard said...

I was watching that story with the inevitable "what would I do" running through my head.

Kudos to the father for having the guts to run the gamut to get his son. I am not sure that I would have abandoned the one in the car because I couldn't be sure I could make it back to him. In 20-20 hindsight and from this comfy place, I probably would have taken the littler one, and then barricaded myself in the hallway, kids locked behind me, and sat with either my 12 gauge or AR, or both, facing the likely entrance ways. Then again, I live in a state with Castle Doctrine in place.

This is going too far. It is way across the line to go to someone's house to protest. Some protesters are going to get 00 buck in the face. And then "very bad things" will happen, to quote JayG

WoFat said...

The French got a little carried away. They do that.

EDGE said...

"The French got a little carried away. They do that."

Roger that.

Eagle said...

BP, this is an important election -- but IMHO the election in 2012 is vastly more important.

Many too-long-in-office pols are either retiring or losing in primary challenges. There is a distinct possibility that the two houses of Congress may be in different party hands after the November election. This would indeed tie the hands of Obama and put the brakes on his far-too-liberal agenda where new law is concerned.

However, the groveler-in-chief can still do considerable damage to this country in his remaining 2 years in office by signing executive orders that could further restrict rights of individuals and enhance the power of union overlords. He can also ignore the prosecution of those who present a real danger to this country (e.g. the New Black Panther polling place intimidation) while continuing to destroy the reputations of upstanding loyal citizens, accusing veterans of being "radicals" (I took this very personally), attempting to muzzle his political opposition, and making war on media outlets who question his policies.

That's why I think 2012 is the more important election. Unless the anti-Obama factions (and there are several) can agree to put aside their differences and work together, I fear we will be subjected to a second term of this disaster-in-chief.

It is often said that one should keep one's friends close, but one's enemies closer. Mr. Obama, this does not mean one socializes with, apologizes to, and grovels at the feet of one's enemies... while slapping the faces of one's friends, allies, and supporters.

Borepatch said...

Burt, we haven't got to 2012, so it can't (yet) be the most important of my lifetime. ;-)

Atom Smasher said...

Now, I was raised in the good ol' peaceful suburbs and exurbs of TN and CT. I've lived in MI, RI, and now MN, so a healthy spread, I think. And here's what I find fascinating:

If someone said "Hey Smasher, let's go trespass on this guy's lawn and yell and generally behave obnoxiously on his property and get close to his HOME" my answer would be "But I don't want to get shot."

If I did agree to go and I saw the mob moving close to the sanctuary of our dreaded ENEMY's home, I'd think even more strongly "hey, we're gonna get shot".

I don't think any of the goons involved have that feeling. No sense of "going too far", no sense of "there's a line I can't cross".

THAT'S a dangerous force - one who knows no bounds of decency.

Paladin said...

Great Post, BP.

I also enjoyed Atom Smasher's observation on the oblivious nature of the mob. The disconnect, if you will, from any potential consequence for what they are doing.

If ever the day comes when I have to actually pull the trigger on someone, I would imagine that my over riding emotion will be tremendous anger that they made it necessary for me to do so.

Lissa said...

An interesting point by Atom Smasher. I was raised in areas where "consequences" = your parents are going to be mad at you. And "severe consequences" = the cops might be mad at you. There was never an inkling of "If you're really dumb you might die of it."

Except for playing chicken with traffic, anyway.

Atom Smasher said...

I get home from work at around midnight, live in a nice neighborhood with small lots so houses are pretty close. A few summers ago I get home, start my dinner, hear some noise outside. After I identify it as some kind of alarum coming from neighbor's house, I have two thoughts:
1) Better go see what I can see in case it's a fire
2) Better keep at least 20 feet away from the house because I don't want to make anybody nervous enough to unload a barrel of .00 into my belly.

Since I was an adolescent I've always known that effing around near someone's house late at night can get me perforated.

(The alarum turned out to be their CO detector. I couldn't tell that of course and so ended up calling 911. The paramedics got everybody up and out, said their infant girl might not've made it through the night without my call. Yay me. :) )

Borepatch said...

Atom Smasher, where I gre up this is exactly what you were expected to do. Neighbors mind their own business but still look out for each other.

One of the problems with the mob is it tends to discourage that. Funny that it's the collectivists who are doing that.