Saturday, September 16, 2017

Montgomery Gentry - Our Town

Troy Gentry died last week in a helicopter crash.  He was from Lexington, Kentucky - the Queen Of The World's old stomping grounds.  She knew his family and remembers him playing at his mother's bar (along with John Michael Montgomery).  She says that he did a good job of growing up with money but not turning out to be a jerk.

Rest in Peace, Troy.  Thanks for the music.



Our Town (Songwriters: Reed Neilsen, Jeffery Steele)
There's a "For Sale" sign on a big old rusty tractor.
You can't miss it, it's the first thing that you see.
Just up the road, a pale-blue water tower,
With "I Love Jenny" painted in bright green.
Hey, that's my Uncle Bill, there by the courthouse.
He'll be lowerin' the flag when the sun goes down.
And this is my town.

Where I was born, where I was raised.
Where I keep all my yesterdays.
Where I ran off 'cos I got mad,
An' it came to blows with my old man.
Where I came back to settle down,
It's where they'll put me in the ground:
This is my town.
My town.

There ain't much goin' on here since they closed the mill.
But that whistle still blows ev'ry day at noon.
A bunch of us still go down to the diner.
I wonder if that interstate's still comin' through.
Come Sunday morning service, at the Church of Christ,
Well there ain't an empty seat to be found.
And this is my town.

Where I was born, where I was raised.
Where I keep all my yesterdays.
Where I ran off 'cos I got mad,
An' it came to blows with my old man.
Where I came back to settle down,
It's where they'll put me in the ground:
This is my town.

Well, I bought and painted up that rusty tractor.
You can't miss it, it's sittin' right there in our yard.
The County came and took that water tower,
And that's Jenny, with a baby, in the car.
Ah, we're off to Sunday service at the Church of Christ,
And if we want a seat, we better leave right now.
And maybe later, me an old T-roy will show you around,
Our town.

Yeah, where I was born, where I was raised.
Where I keep all my yesterdays.
Where I ran off 'cos I got mad,
An' it came to blows with my old man.
Where I came back to settle down,
It's where they'll put me in the ground:
This is my town.

3 comments:

LindaG said...

Theirs was the first music we heard when we realized that country music wasn't our daddy's country music any more. They made a lot of great music.

Another good voice in the Gospel choir.

Joseph said...

Here's an additional link for you: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.kentucky.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article173370516.html

If you're the praying kind, say a few for his family. I cannot imagine what they're going through, and to have to go through it with cameras everywhere...

Will said...

I realize it is still early for info, and that could change, but if the reports of what was being said over the radio are correct, the pilot was an idiot.

He had throttle control problems. It apparently lost the linkage. IT WILL NOT CONTINUE TO RETAIN THE THROTTLE SETTING FOR LONG.

Stated he was going to wait for emergency equipment to arrive on scene before attempting to land the 'copter. NO, NO, NO!!! When control of any system is affected, ESPECIALLY on a helicopter, you get the damn thing on the ground as FAST as possible. Right F'ng NOW! No one on the ground can assist you in handling that aircraft, it's all on you. Put it down, or die. Seems he chose to die.