Our home is simply known around the Blogosphere as "The Range". The original home was out in the country and now is in a small village within a big city but still, the atmosphere inside has never changed. On weekends there is always activity in the Range kitchen, experimenting, baking or just laughing with my Partner in Grime while we try something new, between tearing our walls and floors as we renovate this (as is!) 100-year-old Mission Bungalow.
How do you know if you are a Range Chef? Take our simple quiz.
1. Your apron looks like.
a. jump up and shout "Bacon Ice Cream! It's a crime against nature!" and look for plain yogurt.
b. mutter nervously, prod it with your spoon and ask "is that BACON?"
c. wonder if this would make a better ice cream sandwich with Devils Food or molasses cookies.
a. a bio-sustainable farm where the crops are sown according to the phase of the moon and the tofu is slaughtered to the soothing melodies of Yani while being massaged with aromatherapy oils.
b. a gas station.
c. 500 acres a friend owns in Indiana
4. Which of these foods can blow up?
d. ALL OF THE ABOVE
5. You join Weight Watchers to lose 10 pounds before that holiday party. The first food you look up to see how many "points" it has is:
1. an apple.
2. a 100 calorie pack of crackers.
3. bacon wrapped lamb shank with bacon garlic smashed potatoes.
6. Which root vegetable is not put into mirepoix?
c. Slim Jim
7. What is chipotle?
a. a popular chain restaurant that makes burritos the size of a raccoon
b. a cross between a chihuahua and poodle
c. a smoke-dried jalapeno pepper
8. You have a whisk in your bug out kit.
a. What's a whisk?
a. newest in the front.
10. You've cooked dinner with:
a. liquid nitrogen.
b. an acetylene torch.
c. a Bunsen burner.
d. ALL OF THE ABOVE.
11. The way to a man's heart is thru his stomach?
c. girlfriend, you need an updated diagram.
12. Frozen Swanson pot pies are good for:
a. a quick and easy dinner.
b. door stops.
c. replacements for bowling pins at the pistol match.
13. Your cooking style is:
a. Martha Stewart
b. Julia Child
c. Alton Brown meets Red Green
14. The menu at the Cajun place says "blackened on request". You respond
a. "I've got an envie for some blackened fish!"
c. "Heck, I can do THAT at home!"
15. You like making popovers because:
a. They're warm and filling
b. They impress guests
c. It's like making your own personal edible steam engine!
17. You know the difference between:
a. a steak and tofu
b. a bag of flour and a bottle of juice
c. solid foams, gels, sols, and suspensions
If you answered mostly "c's" and "d's" you are well on your way to being a Home on the Range cook. To know for sure, ask yourself this final question. . .
Have you ever made a foot long hot dog with two regular dogs and a long piece of bacon to wrap it with?