Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Janus

The Romans worshiped the god Janus from early days.  The coin shown here is from ca. 250 BC, from the still vibrant Republic.  Janus was perhaps unique to Rome - unlike most of the other members of their pantheon there is no record of a Janus-like god among the Greeks who supplied much of Rome's culture.

Janus was long associated with the new year.  Our calendar inaugurates the year with the month of January, and this tradition dates back to Julius Caesar himself, who commissioned the Julian Calendar which began with that same month.

Janus looks back and forward at the same time.  The New Year's tide is a good occasion to look on our own lives, looking back on the past year and forwards on the new.

This year is going out with a bang for me.  Yesterday the Doctor gave me the results of the cancer test.  They were not what I'd hoped.  While still not conclusive, I've shifted out of the realm of not-entirely-reliable and into the realm of more-likely-than-not.  And a 30% chance of "High Grade" cancer.  Nothing but the finest cancer for Mom's little blogger.

Coming on top of the rest of the year, I shall not shed a tear for the late departing AD 2014.  We'll see how 2015 shapes up.

There's nothing immanent.  Dad got 10 good years after his treatment for this.  But he was 15 years older than I am now when they detected it.  Do I expect another decade?  Hells yes.  Do I expect another 25 years?  Dunno.

This time of year is for reflection on the past, and the future.  Our past is past, and Longfellow was eloquent that the dead past should bury its own dead.  Our future is what we will make of it.  Most of us live our lives locked in by our past choices, repeating year after year with little change.

Maybe I'll get a bigger motorcycle.  If ten years is what I have, then I have places to go.  This journey is perspective.  If you need some, you can't do better than this.  Or this:



May each of you have a joyous and prosperous 2015, beyond all your hopes.

12 comments:

Glen Filthie said...

And may you have a million miles left on your odometer too BP!

abnormalist said...

Well that sucks,

Best wishes to you and yours, and heres hoping for some high quality treatment and remission

Eagle said...

The good news is that you have at least another 10 solid years, and new treatments are being found all the time.

The better news is that you're healing from the rest of this past year's adventures (and misadventures) and will be ready to do some serious a$$-kicking this year.

The best news is that the riding is in your blood: you're talking about getting a bigger bike (highly recommended: I LOVE my Heritage), not talking about "never riding again".

Health and happiness to you in the New Year, BP!!!

Tacitus said...

Persevere.

Tacitus

Chad Solivais said...

Have a safe and happy New Year!

Old NFO said...

Happy New Year to you and yours!!!

Archer said...

Or, as Nido Qubein put it, "Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."

Happy New Year!

Kansas Scout said...

Don't panic and don't jump to unwarrented conclusions. Best wishes on your health issues.

tsquared said...

I agree, 2014 sucked.

Prayers go out to you with your cancer and the treatment.

We both need to jump on the bikes and wear out a set or two of tires.

TT

Ken said...

Prayers inbound for a better 2015 and many happy, healthy years to follow.

Barney said...

A good friend of mine died of cancer a couple of years ago and I wouldn't wish you the same fate.

Something stuck with me that I'll pass on to you though. I was avisiting him and he dialed up the morphine when I went to leave the room. As I was leaving I heard him say, "God, I surely don't know what it is you want me to learn from this." I didn't have anything wise to say and I passed his wife and youngest son on their way in. Later on I was thinking though that maybe the lesson wasn't for him.

Anonymous said...

Buying a motorcycle is always a good idea. I hope you get a good one and have the chance to ride it a million miles.

A.C.