Sunday, January 26, 2014

Fried chicken on waffles

Winter is comfort food weather, and you don't get much more comfort in your food than this.  I had never run across this until I moved to the South, but that's almost enough reason to make the move just by itself.

Step 1: fry the chicken.  I'd post the recipe but I already did.  I much prefer pan fried, not deep fried - this by itself is reason enough to get a cast iron skillet.  One difference between the recipe I linked to and what I'm doing today is that I got a frozen bag of boneless chicken breasts.  One large portion per person is plenty, but a chicken only comes with two breasts.  You want boneless for this, so be prepared.

Step 2: make waffles.  I'm putting the kids to work doing this, while I fry the bird.

Step 3: Put the chicken on the waffles, cover with maple syrup (real maple syrup, or we can't be friends anymore).  I like some hot sauce as well, but that's me.

And a Sauvignon Blanc goes nicely with this if you're using hot sauce, otherwise you might consider a modest Chardonnay.

UPDATE 1/26/2014 19:42: Man, that's good. Need to find a hot sauce better than Tabasco, though.  Not much in the flavor department.  Anyone have any recommendations?

16 comments:

Stephen said...

Me - you, buddies.

Anonymous said...

I'll be on the next flight out, sir.

Borepatch said...

Stephen and Pistolero, let me know if you ever get to ATL, and I'd be delighted if you came to dinner. I'll fix this.

greg said...

Bein' born a Yankee, and living in the Northwest most of my life...I'm not sure I have had fried chicken and waffles before.

As for a hot sauce recommendation...I like Cholula more than Tabasco...and then, I prefer the Chipotle or Chili Garlic flavors. I'm not a big Heat guy...give me flavor every time.
www.cholula.com/

Unknown said...

How about sriracha chili sauce?

Dave H said...

+1 for Cholula. It's easy to see on the grocery shelf because the cap on the bottle is a wooden knob. Sriracha is really good too - I put it in mac & cheese - but the Cholula has a little less bite and a little more tang to it.

MSgt B said...

Another vote for Cholula.

Not so hot, but it's got a nice vinegary taste.

Bob said...

For chicken I recommend Tiger Sauce. It's a mildly hot sweet-n-sour sauce. Much better flavor than Tabasco, especially on poultry.

Steve Parker, M.D. said...

Yet another vote for Cholula.
-Steve

Eagle said...

go to www.asskickin.com - buy a starter pack... and heat up your day!

I **LOVE** this stuff.

Ken said...

I like Tapatio pretty well.

Tass said...

Since the family is from North Carolina, I grew up on Texas Pete (ironically, for 30 years or so it was only sold in the carolinas). Can now get it in Houston along with Dukes mayo. Happy! Check out Carolina Sauce Co. (no affiliation, just happy customer) for all things saucy!

Dave H said...

Speaking of Sriracha, did anybody else know about this?

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Sriracha-Factory-Irwindale-City-Council.html

Neighbors of the Sriracha plant in Irwindale, CA have complained about the smell, and City Council is holding a hearing to determine if it's a public nuisance.

Sounds like a vote in favor of Sriracha for me. If it annoys people in the great state of California, it's got to be good!

abnormalist said...

I love me some Sriracha, and the Cholula is always a good option, but the one that takes up constant space in my home is good ol Franks red hot.

Its just tastey on everything from Cereal to chili to chicken to burritos.

Anonymous said...

Went to Belize last winter and every table there has Marie Sharps. You can get it on Amazon, or at least you used to. Habanero with a carrot base, lots of heat and lots of flavor.

9vMojo said...

I like all the suggestions on here: texas pete, cholulu, frank's. Pickapeppa, from Jamaica is good too. they all have their merits.