Saturday, June 19, 2010

Conway Twitty - That's My Job

I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection.
- Sigmund Freud

Mothers are known for nurturing; Fathers are expected to protect. Mothers get the better of that deal, but a real Father doesn't shrink from his task.

Fortunately, there's a country song about that.

Conway Twitty had more #1 songs than anyone until George Straight got his 56th #1 song in 2006. Conway's most notorious hit - You've never been this far before - wasn't exactly family friendly, and in fact was banned on some stations. But he was a father, and a songwriter, and knew that when the chips were down, the fathers were expected to step up.

And he was right. Harold Lloyd Jenkins (Conway Twitty) wasn't my favorite country singer when I was younger, but his sentiment is precisely right in this song. Yes, it's overly sentimental, but that's often how fathers are inspired to do what needs doing.

This Father's Day weekend, take a moment to think not just of your own father, but of the uncomplaining sacrifices that he made for you. Because it's what fathers do.



That's My Job
(Songwriters: Conway Twitty, Gary Burr)
I woke up cryin' late at night - when I was very young
I had dreamed my father - had passed away and gone
My world revolved around him - I couldn't lie there anymore
So I made my way down the mirrowed hall and tapped upon his door.

And I said, "Daddy, I'm so afraid!
How would I go on, with you gone that way?
Don't wanna cry anymore
So may I stay with you?"

And he said,
"That's my job, that's what I do
Everything I do is because of you
To keep you safe with me ...
That's my job, you see."

Later we barely got along - this teenage boy and he
Most of the fights it seems - were over different dreams
We each held for me ...
He wanted knowledge and learning - I wanted to fly out west
"Said I could make it out there - if I just had the fare
I got half, will you loan me the rest?"

And I said, "Daddy, I'm so afraid
Theres no guarentee in the plans I've made
And if I should fail, who will pay my way back home?"

And he said,
"That's my job, that's what I do
Ev'rything I do is because of you
To keep you safe with me ...
That's my job, you see."

Every person carves his spot - and fills the hole with life
And I pray someday I might - light as bright as he.

Woke up early one bright fall day - read the tragic news
After all my travels, I settled down - within a mile or two
I make my livin' with words and rhymes - and all the tragedies
Should go into my head and out instead - as bits of poetry.

But I say, "Daddy I'm so afraid
How will I go on - with you gone this way
How can I come up - with a song to say, "I love you."

"That's my job, that's what I do
Ev'rything I do is because of you
To keep you safe with me ...
That's my job, you see."

"Ev'rything I do is because of you
To keep you safe with me."
Dolly Parton had another take on the father's traditional protector role in Daddy Come And Get Me. And the last word this Father's Day weekend goes to an unknown author:
One night a father overheard his son pray: Dear God, Make me the kind of man my Daddy is. Later that night, the Father prayed, Dear God, Make me the kind of man my son wants me to be.
Amen.

UPDATE 21 June 2010 12:02: Some me still answer this call. RIP Wes Michaels, and God speed.

3 comments:

Paladin said...

I think that's the mark of a chain of good parenting. I aspire to be half the parent that my Mom and Dad are. Hopefully, my Girl will feel the same.

Having my only child as a girl, I've tended to feel the protector role very strongly. When I met whatever boy my Daughter was going out with at the time - and I met EVERY ONE OF THEM - I didn't make too big a deal out of it. I didn't clean my gun or anything hokey like that. We would shake hands and I'd look them in the eye and tell them simply that I wanted a face to put with the name, so that if things went badly I'd know who I was looking for.

I had that conversation with my current Son-in-law when I first trusted him with my Baby Girl. A couple of years later, my Daughter told me that after they left on their first date he had told her "Your Dad's pretty scary."

Mission Accomplished :)

Borepatch said...

LOL Paladin

Eye-Catching Video said...

Wow, what an awesome song that is. They just don't write hits like that anymore...