Sunday, April 19, 2009

Vacation Flotsam and Jetsam

We've joined Dick Cheney in his classified, undisclosed location for some R&R. Wifi is ubiquitous (other than that danged NSA warrantless wiretap thing), so blogging will be back to the regular schedule. Here are some random thoughts:

Waffle House is Food Of The Gods. That's quite a following there, Scooter - although it's a bit astonishing that some of these Waffle House songs have explicit lyrics.

Saigon Sam's Mil Surplus store in Jacksonville, NC (right across the highway from Camp Lejeune, you can't miss it) is the shizzle Flippity Floppity Floop. I now have one of these to put on the Jeep:

It will appear opposite this one from Bruce:

When you hear that I've been deported from Massachusetts, this will be why.

I initially read the store sign as "SIGINT Sam's", which would be totally cool, but I'd have to kill you now that I've told you. And I hope this "Camp Lejeune" summer camp thing works out for the kids this year. They seem pretty strict.

A case of MREs seems like a fine addition to a minivan on a road trip, especially with teenage boys. Don't worry about the added weight hurting your gas mileage, since the MREs won't last very long ...

5 comments:

ASM826 said...

Saigon Sam's! Joe and I wasted an afternoon in there last year when he was in training at Camp Johnson.

Borepatch said...

We were able to get out in "only" an hour, because the kids were famished and were eyeing the K-Bars and MREs.

I'm hopeful that the mil-spec cammo britches will be more robust than what we've been getting the boys up to now.

Got to say, though, that the new digital camo pattern is pretty cool. Good thing I like it, since we have rather a lot of it around now ...

;-)

the pistolero said...

I lurrrrves me some Waffle House. Better Half and I go every chance we get here in the southeast corner of the Republic of Texas. We're less than 10 minutes from one, actually. They have 'em just across the Sabine River in Louisiana, too. Looks like the closest ones to Massachusetts are in Ohio? Another reason to come on dowwwn! ;-)

Borepatch said...

Pistolero, we saw one in Maryland - we knew that we were making progress towards our goal when we saw that particular sign.

I don't think I've ever seen one north of the Mason-Dixon line, but don't know Ohio very much. I could see Cincinnati having a bunch.

the pistolero said...

Yup. Metro Cincinnati does have several Waffle Houses, about evenly split between Ohio and Kentucky. I'm guessing those folks on that north I-275 loop probably raised hell about having to go across the river to eat at one. Can't say as I blame 'em for that. I'd hate having to drive that far too, even though it'd be SO worth it. ;-) If only they had White Castle this far south...