Saturday, October 11, 2008

Road trip with #1 son - Kittery Trading Post

Kittery,Maine is a jumble of outlet stores, with traffic to match. About the only reason I see to go there is the Kittery Trading Post.

We picked up a couple of knives, since we are missing the Manchester Gun Show. What we saw and (sadly) did NOT get: a Winchester 1894 in .30-.30, made in 1902. Most of the bluing is worn off, but the bore looked good. And working the action sounded like closing a bank vault. Cue Mike Myers in "Wayne's World": Some day, she will be mine. Oh, yes.

Sigh.

Best line of the day, me showing #1 son a sweet (and expensive) Beretta over/under:

Me: Now this is a gentleman's gun.

#1 son (pointing to a pump action): And that's a bad-ass' gun!

I'm so proud.

UPDATE 11 October 2008 21:49: Even hours later, I can still almost taste the Winchester. This was no "Safe Queen" - it had clearly given good service for years. I must be a sucker for that, but there just seems something antiseptic about "New and In Box" when compared to a well used tool. $700, if anyone else has a few C-notes burning a hole in their pocket.

And I'd feel bad about missing the Gun Show, except that the Kittery Trading Post is almost a mini Gun Show all by itself. It must be the male equivalent of the Nordstrom Lady's Shoe Department.

1 comment:

TOTWTYTR said...

The last time I was a Kittery, a few months ago they were having a clearance sale on long guns AND the racks were litteraly overflowing with them. I attributed that to the economy at the time.

I saw a ton of Remington 870s in various configurations going for short money. I should have bought one, but for some reason didn't.

They have a lot of lever action rifels up there. Last year I bought a like new Marlin 336C for a good price. I don't hunt, so I don't have any real need for it, but I just wanted a lever action.

I think $700.00 is a bit high for a 100 year old shooter, but that's just me.