Thursday, June 10, 2010

Roy Rogers Colt Single Actions


They can be yours, assuming you have 30 or 40 large sitting around with nothing to do. Brian Lebel's Old West Show and Auction in Denver is Saturday, June 26. The high point is the auction of Roy Rogers' firearms collection, including his six shooters. There's a great story about his Winchester Model 12 shotgun, which he bought from Clark Gable:

Clark had a bad day at the trap range, and when he walked off the field he held the gun aloft. "Someone, anyone, please - make me an offer for this S.O.B.!" Roy game him $600 on the spot, and then broke 50 clays in a row. Expect to pay another 30 large for this.

I'm guessing that some of you might be interested. Here are the details:
When: Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 5:00pm
Where: Denver Merchandise Mart, Denver, CO.
Auction Preview: On site, Friday June 25 from 3-6pm and Saturday the 26th from 9am - 4pm.
Catalogs: Available for purchase ($30 U.S.), shipping approx June 1st.
Bidding: Auction bidding is open to the public and is available in person, by phone, internet, and absentee.
Website: www.denveroldwest.com
If you're interested, you'll want to contact Brian Lebel.

Melissa McCracken at Denver Old West was kind enough to send me one of the auction catalogs, which I have been enjoying enormously. If you like history, like I do, and want to drool over the tony shootin' irons, saddles, and art work, you'll want to go online to order one.

Not having 30 large burning a hole in my pocket, I was still able to find something that I could buy. Item #342, Roy's Winchester 1894, S/N 1485267. Roy replaced the forearm, and managed somehow to crack the buttstock. Only 40% bluing still intact: Roy got a lot of use out of this one. $600 - $900 is a little high for an old shooter that's been ridden hard and put away wet, but it's Roy's Winchester.

Want. Man, oh man.

UPDATE 4 July 2010 18:21: Melissa emails to tell me that Roy's six shooters and custom holster (shown at top) sold for a cool $100,000. Wow.

6 comments:

wolfwalker said...

Clark had a bad day at the trap range, and when he walked off the field he held the gun aloft.

Star actors who owned shotguns and regularly shot trap with them? Ma-an, talk about your different times...

Jay G said...

$600 - $900 and it's MA-legal?

Hmmmm...

Anonymous said...

Roy Rogers...I well remember spending hours watching Roy, Trigger and Tonto.
Hold it! That would mean I am how old!!?
Ummmm nope! Never heard of the guy!!
Would be nice to have the change for even his 30-30...

Anonymous said...

Cripes! I am getting old !
That would be the masked dude which I was way to young, way before my time!!
The Hi-Ho SIlver dude....Tonto..

Shuffle shuffle shuffle

Cripes....my mind is going!!

Joel said...

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that Roy Rogers' Winchester won't leave the auction block for no $900, no matter how much use it's seen.

Damn - I don't even like "cowboy" guns, and there isn't much I wouldn't hock to own Roy Rogers' rifle.

And yeah ... ;^) RR was the one who got Dale Evans. Tonto was with that other guy.

fast richard said...

I used to watch both of those shows. Any of Roy Rogers' guns would be fun to own. It would be like owning a little bit of lost childhood.