Monday, May 6, 2013

On this day in history

In 1937 the zeppelin Hindenburg caught fire and burned to a crispy humanity! in Lakehurst New Jersey.  It seems that even then it was less expensive to fly to New Jersey than to New York - assuming there was no extra charge for the flame out, of course.

And we can re-purpose the old joke to today's modern age: What's the difference between Chris Matthews and the Hindenburg?  One's a flaming fascist gas bag, the other is a dirigible.

In 1941, the P-47 took its maiden flight.  At the risk of being trite, I'd say that Mother Jug had some Speed.  Man, that was one tough airframe - although one of the most expensive of the war.



In 1945, Axis Sally gave her final broadcast.  It's not recorded in the annals whether she was later hired by the New York Times or not.

In 1954 Roger Bannister becomes the first man to break the 4 minute mile, becoming an object of hatred for all subsequent High School track runners who did not run distance.  Not that I'm bitter, but I stick to my claim for the 1970s that Bannister was too much of a wimp to run the High Hurdles ...

In 1983, "The Hitler Diaries" hoax is published.  It is not recorded in the annals whether the author was later hired by the New York Times ...

In 2013, I used a chicken carcass and some rice and frozen veg to feed the family for about $3.  Got to figure out how to do this more often.

3 comments:

Goober said...

Ahhh, carcass soup. A lost art, and one that has put many a tasty meal on my table. You ever find yourself with some leftover beef bones you can do the same thing. Follow the rabbit stew recipe I posted, only use the beef instead. You'll think you died and went to heaven.

Murphy's Law said...

P-47s rocked, but the Corsair...now THAT was a fighter!

RabidAlien said...

The Jug was awesome, but I still stand behind my personal fav, the Lightning. Cuz, you know, Lightning always comes before Thunderbolts!

Roger Bannister. Yeah, that man was something else. I think my fastest mile was 5:47. I was always more of a distance guy, just set the cruise control on an 8-minute-mile, turn on the Walkman (tm) and go.