Tuesday, May 21, 2013

$25 plastic gun printed on $2000 printer

Video at the link, of the pistol firing multiple shots.  Here's the quote of the day:
“People think this takes an $8,000 machine and that it blows up on the first shot. I want to dispel that,” says Joe. “This does work, and I want that to be known.”
Interesting article.  The pistol is clearly an advance over the Liberator, but still has some considerable refining needed.  But the price point of the printer isn't any more than what a decent laser printer used to be not so very long ago, and the cost of the plastic is what a case of good beer runs you.

Not stopping the signal.

5 comments:

Old NFO said...

And don't even look on the net to see what OTHER sets of instructions are out there... That don't require printers, or welding or anything but ingenuity...

Dave H said...

All well and good, but it still relies on commercial ammunition. When they can print a gun and working ammo, I'll be impressed.

Aw, who am I kidding? I'm impressed now. I never thought a plastic barrel would survive even one shot.

Ken said...

I hope the state keeps trying, though. Not only are they not stopping the signal, they're Streisanding it.

cryptical said...

At that price point it becomes worthwhile to print up a few for the next gun buyback. You'd have to find someplace that has a printer for use, like a local hackerspace.

Dirk said...

Yeah, wouldn't be hard to build a muzzle-loader very easily and cheaply with a few simple items from any hardware store, and tools most everyone already has in their garage.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I can envision a few possibilities without looking online for a how-to.

Sure, it might not be very durable or especially safe, but if the aim is to make something that'll let me "obtain an upgrade", so to speak, it doesn't have to be.