Friday, April 30, 2010

I am an M1 Garand

A couple days ago I posted the (pretty disappointing) result of an online quiz. It said I was a Glock. I said I don't think so.

But that got me thinking. Rather than taking the Gun-blogosphere equivalent of a Cosmopolitan quiz, why not just describe things as they are. If I were a gun, which would I be? And it was pretty easy: I am an M1 Garand.

  • I'm obsolete, but offer virtues that aren't taught much these days.
  • While I'm not heavy and clumsy, I'm not as portable as some of the young folk.
  • Like today's military tactics of fire superiority via rapid but not particularly well aimed automatic fire, today's Internet Age seems to put a premium on quick tweets, throw-away Facebook wall scribbles, and other "quick draw" information flow. Like the old way of methodical aimed rifle marksmanship, I strive for arguments that are carefully composed to hit their target.
  • As with the rifle range, this doesn't always work.
  • While I don't have a bayonet lug, people sometimes have to be careful when "reloading" me, or I'll bite back.
  • I take pride in doing things that not everyone can, and of being a bit of an anachronistic throw-back.
  • It's not always easy to keep me clean, but I strive to be considered reliable.
So that's me. Yeah, I know that I'm putting on airs, comparing myself to the Garand. But it's good to give yourself a goal that may exceed your grasp. It inspires you to try harder.

6 comments:

Paladin said...

Heh.. When I read the post where you were a Glock, I thought to myself "Nope. If Borepatch were a weapon he would be more like a Garand."

Look at me, bein' all right and stuff :)

As for myself, I'd probably come in somewhere between a large heavy club and a catapult :)

Anachronistic is my middle name.

Tam said...

If you were really a Garand, you'd have a bayonet lug! :p

Sherm said...

This got me curious enough to go back and take the quiz. 1911 in 45acp. Seems good to me.

WoFat said...

I hauled one of those things all over Fort Jackson. "This is my rifle, this is my gun . . ."

Anonymous said...

Da picture looks to have a bayonet lug...

Anonymous said...

Gave mine to my eldest son.
Almost want to take it back.

Skul