Monday, January 21, 2013

Kamelot - Ashes to Ashes

Silverthorn, Kamelot's new album is out featuring their new lead singer.  Perhaps surprisingly, the new singer (Tommy Karevik) sounds a lot like the old singer (Roy Kahn) - perhaps because Karevik is a Swede and Kahn is Norwegian.  Maybe there's a common lutefisk connection, or something.

There is a common songwriting thread - the same core of the band still writes the songs.  And so there's a commonality that Kamelot fans should like.



I've only listened to some of the album (in the car with #2 Son), but it sounds like the most classically operatic of the Kamelot oeuvre*. Certainly this song opens that way.  If you like Rock Opera - real Rock Opera - then this should be something that you'll like.

* I only use the term because I don't think I've used the word in the 6500 posts here.  So there.

3 comments:

libertyman said...

Errr, no thanks. We must diverge on this.

Anonymous said...

Oeuvre is such a fun word. Makes me feel all learned when I use it.

And Kamelot is awesome. I really dig that subgenre of metal. Roy Khan was a great singer; he's not quite on the level of Russell Allen or Todd La Torre (or Geoff Tate back in the day), but he isn't that far off.

SiGraybeard said...

Wait... are you saying you've never said oeuvre before, but you have said lutefisk?

Personally, I don't think I've ever seen the phrase lutefisk connection in written English before.