Saturday, March 9, 2019

Cumberland River - Justified


What makes our writing different is the way we were raised and grew up in the mountains. 
- Joey Jones, Cumberland River Basist
The problem that I have with the "New" Nashville is that the music is basically produced by computer algorithm.  Desperate for crossover hits (c.f. Taylor Swift), the music is homogenized and pasteurized and pureed until there's no country left in the music.  Then a banjo is added back in.

No thanks.  What's stripped out in that process is all traces of authenticity.  It's gotten a lot harder over the last ten years to find interesting authentic country music.  Fortunately, some of you pitch in to help out.  A comment a couple months back from Miguel GFZ led me to this group which has authenticity like nothing I've heard in a long time.

Harlan, Kentucky is a little town in a valley between mountains.  It's no stranger to country music - Steve Earle wrote "Harlan Man", Emmylou Harris sang "Goin' Back To Harlan", and more recently Brad Paisley covered "You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive".  Like a lot of small towns in those mountains the town has seen hard times - the population was never big, and has dropped by 10% in the last ten years.  It's the seat of Harlan County but there are only 1700 people or so who live there.  But the people have their hopes and dreams, and their pride.  That was on full display in 1973 strike against the Eastover Mining Company when shots were fired and blood flowed in the town.

The Queen Of The World is a Kentucky girl and said that Harlan used to be a place that you wouldn't go if you didn't know someone.  It was rough back then, and folk stuck to themselves.  She says it's changed a lot since then.

In 2011 the FX Network was producing a television show called Justified, set in Appalachia.  The producers were in town and invited a local band to audition.  In 24 hours, Cumberland River wrote this song which was featured on the show.  It's not exactly country, and not exactly bluegrass, but it sounds entirely true to itself.  That's a long way from Nashville, at least these days: 300 miles and a world apart.

Miguel, thanks for pointing these guys out.


Justified (Songwriters: Cumberland River)
They called this town bloody at one time in its life.
Just because that the simple man would not give up without a fight.
My mamma, she raised me and taught me wrong from right.
Daddy was a no count dog, done nothing but steal, cheat and lie.
Ain't it funny how destiny works out things in life like how I became a Law man.
I think thats Justified

Some people call me reckless but I dont give a damn.
They just see that im the law and forget ima Harlan man.
There was a time I worked down in the mine.
I got caluses on my hands.
Most people dont like my way----they just dont understand.
So if you got a problem with the way i live my life.
I can help you close your eyes.I think thats Justified

Before you cross that county line and break the law in my town.
Theres a few things you might wanna know before the deal goes down.
You may be in a hollar where you think you cant be found.
But dont you ever doubt it son cause ill always be around.
I wear a star on my chest and a 6 gun on my side.
Look out boy you just might be staring down the barrel of a 45.

Theres not a judge in this town that'll help you now.And I think thats Justified

12 comments:

Miguel GFZ said...

"It's not exactly country, and not exactly bluegrass,"

I call it Appalachian Music for lack of better term. Maybe Modern Appalachian..

I like Darrel Scott's version for Justified of "You Will Never Leave Harlan Alive." It is a mix of warning, lament and damnation.

https://youtu.be/cco-pCb0klU

Jim said...

I miss real country music. It's out there, and can be found, but you're going to have to search.

Old NFO said...

Nice!

Beans said...

Harlan County was featured in NatGeo's show "Kentucky Justice." The Sheriff, Marvin Lipford, was bound and determined to bring the rule of law to his county.

Good show, shows all sides of the issue in that county. From clannish behavior, taking the law into one's own hands, drugs, murder, arson, etc...

As to country-country music, yeah, miss real country-country music. Thanks for introducing me to this group.

Joseph said...

"The problem that I have with the "New" Nashville is that the music is basically produced by computer algorithm. Desperate for crossover hits (c.f. Taylor Swift), the music is homogenized and pasteurized and pureed until there's no country left in the music. Then a banjo is added back in."

Damn, brother... that might be the most quotable thing you've written here, and you know how long I've been reading. I WILL be stealing it.

Bear Claw Chris Lapp said...

If you did not watch Justified it IMO is one of the greatest TV series of all times.

Bear Claw Chris Lapp said...

I think it is on netflix now

danielbarger said...

Harlan County Kentucky was a ROUGH place.....perhaps not now but certainly in the past. My grandfather was a Kentucky State Highway Patrolman in the 20's and 30's.
He was assigned to work in Harlan County occasionally to relieve other troopers during the Harlan County Coal Wars of the 30s. My mother told stories of him making her lay on the floorboards of the car due to gunfire from the various factions of that conflict. As a kid I remember the police getting in some pretty
hairy fights with the skinny angry hillbilly types that just wanted to be left alone. The Appalachian mountains are definitely a 'whole nother country', even when compared to places not that far away like Lexington....Thoroughbred country.

waepnedmann said...

Jim Web's "Born Fighting" gives an insight into places like Harlan Couty and really the beginnings of our nation.
The Scots-Irish that settled in places like the Appalachias and through the south had generations of independent thinkers and tribal alliances that were brought over to America when they immigrated. Tough dangerous folks.
Don't mess with the hill people.

waepnedmann said...

Addendum:
Once again, thanks for the musical education.
I just bought their album.

Richard said...

Who needs modern country music anyway. The old stuff is still around.

Tom Lindsay said...

Thanks for the tip!

BTW, I named my hound dog Raylan. Don't know if that makes me Arlo or Art Mullins.