Friday, January 18, 2019

Short takes, including why does Google no longer love Borepatch?

R. Lee Ermey is buried at Arlington National Cemetery.  Rest in peace, Gunny.

Global Temperature measurement is getting a lot better in some ways, although you won't read any of this is the newspaper:
Between 2005 and 2017, the global network of thousands of Argo floats have measured an average temperature increase of the upper half of the ocean of 0.04 deg. C. That’s less than 0.004 C/year, an inconceiveably small number.
I like the Argo system because it's automated and global (and doesn't look like it's been massively adjusted; I guess we'll have to watch that).  But while the measurements look pretty darn good the data look like they're tossed into the maw of the Government-Academia Complex:
Significantly, it represents an imbalance in energy flows in and out of the climate system of only 1 part in 260. That’s less than 0.5%, and climate science does not know any of the NATURAL flows of energy to that level of accuracy.
Plus or minus 0.5% leads us straight back to the Uncertainty Monster.

Lawrence finds that Google is screwing around with search results.  He has the goods, with screenshots, of them hiding inconvenient truths.

He's not the only one.  Youtube is doing it too. (Google owns Youtube)

Of course, we've known for years and years that Google is doing this, and is not a reliable search engine for anything important.  The only thing that's changed for me since this post is that I like DuckDuckGo as my search engine.  Not only do they not play these sorts of SJW reindeer games, they also protect my privacy (in stark contrast to Google).  It's too bad - the end of an era:


By the way, in looking into all this it looks like Google may have noticed this little blog and put in some downranking - I used to reliably be the #1 search result for "How to hack a classified network" but now don't seem to be anywhere to be seen.  Interestingly, DuckDuckGo still has me at the top of the search results.

And because it's Friday, George has some fun.  I like this one about the Clemson football team visit to the White House:


5 comments:

LindaG said...

The Presidential meal is funny. Might be too rich for us mow, haha.

Google is annoying. Just changed my gmail word. Got my laptop and phone set up. Went to do something else on my laptop and my password is wrong. Tried to reset it, and the phone authentication isn't good enough.
I have no idea when I started it. Sometime before 2008, so I am helically twisted with that. Amazed I am still logged in here so I can read and comment.

Still quite annoyed.

LindaG said...

I meant too rich for us *now*.
Dumb fat fingers on a cell phone.

LSP said...

My ridic "blog" used to have a good Google search rank, then it was banned, allowed back and now it doesn't.

They must be paranoid.

Dan said...

Lawrence's link in your piece is
https://www.battleswarmblog.com/?p=38558
What shows up?
Error establishing a database connection
Hmm.

Eric Wilner said...

Dan: "Error establishing a database connection" is likely a symptom of some form of unintended DDOS, such as a Slashdotting (back in the day) or Instalanche (more recently). Which is to say, the site may have been linked by one or more highly popular sites, leading to a load beyond what the database back-end can cope with.
Not usually the result of malevolent intervention, just a sudden spike in popularity.