Saturday, October 28, 2017

Mr. Autry had a horse named Champion. He didn't have no horse named "Runner Up"

The Queen Of The World and I watched Angels In The Outfield last night.  I had never seen it, and it was great fun (if entirely predictable).  One thing that rang true in the film (maybe the only thing that rang true) was the cowboy owner who was clearly patterned off of the original singing cowboy movie star, Gene Autry.

Autry was the owner of the California Angels.  The post title is a quote from Angels manager, Gene Mauch.  The team was playing for the Pennant against the Red Sox in 1986, and Mauch gave a pep talk to the team before the final game.  The Sox won in extra innings.

3 comments:

libertyman said...

Have you seen "Fear Strikes Out" ? About Jimmy Pearsall, I may watch it tonight.

libertyman said...

Piersall, sorry.

Borepatch said...

Libertyman, I haven't. I hadn't heard of Piersall - what an interesting story.