Saturday, May 14, 2016

Waylon Jennings - The Eagle

Sad news comes our way:
We have lost yet another of our greatest generation. The family of LTC Thomas Kennedy (USA Ret) has requested that the Patriot Guard stand in silent honor of his service to our country. LTC Kennedy passed away on 12 May 2016 in Columbus, GA. He was 95 years old.  
LTC Kennedy was a member of the famed 506th Parachute Infantry, 101st Airborne Division. LTC Kennedy parachuted behind enemy lines on D-Day, the 6th of June, 1944. Shortly thereafter LTC was severely wounded by a landmine. Among his many decorations, were the Bronze Star Medal, Purple Heart, Combat Infantryman's Badge and Master Parachutist Badge. 
But LTC Kennedy's life is a meditation on our own, and on our society.  You bet there's a country music song for that.



The Eagle (Songwriter: )
Lord knows I am peaceful when I'm left alone
I've always been an Eagle, been awhile since I have flown
My claws are sharp as ever, so's my Eagle eye
Something's gonna go tonight, when the eagle flies

Lately I've heard rumors that the eagle may be lame
Just because I've been idle, don't mean that I'm tame
You've jeopardized my freedom, my natural place to roost
I can fly when I have to, if they turn the eagle loose

So lay all your doubts aside when you go to bed tonight
My feathers are all ruffled now, I'm ready for a fight
Just because I took awhile to fly that don't mean I don't care
When you feel the shadow crossing, the eagle's in the air

So lay all your doubts aside when you go to bed tonight
My feathers are all ruffled now, I'm ready for a fight
Just because I took awhile to fly that don't mean I don't care
When you feel the shadow crossing, the eagle's in the air
When you feel the shadow crossing, the eagle's in the air
God Speed, LTC Kennedy.  Thank you for what you have given this Republic.

1 comment:

Chickenmom said...

A fitting tribute. We must never forget.