Friday, September 4, 2015

Everything's bigger in Texas

Even the Gun Safes:
I remember shortly after moving there, asking an employee at Cabella’s if he had any recommendations for a gun safe. “Well, son,” he said to me in complete seriousness, “m’boy moved away to college a few years ago so I reinforced the door frame and just turned the whole guest room into a gun vault. Have ya thought ‘bout doing sumthin like that?” Good God, I thought. And then, when we moved into a new house this year, it had a walk in closet turned into gun vault. Welcome to Texas.
Yeah, yeah: fire protection, are the walls reinforced, yadda yadda.  Don't mess with Texas, especially they're causing cerebral hemorrhages in East Coast Progressives.

Hat tip: Isegoria, who always finds cool stuff.

4 comments:

Spike said...

About 10 years ago, my parents built a new master gun vault. its an 8x8 rebar reinforced, poured concrete block room with a safe door. Oh, and my mom got a new bathroom to hide the construction. Because F you, that's why.

jon spencer said...

A hardend, secure, alarmed and fire resistant small room cost to build is probably equal or less than a good quality large safe.
Especially if you do the work yourself.

Old NFO said...

Not unusual... Matter of fact, they're pretty common. I saw three in the 10 houses I looked at (all in Texas)...

Sherm said...

I've a friend that turned the space under his front porch into a safe. Concrete walls and top with a safe door behind a screen in his basement utility room wall.only cost an extra $1500 when he built the house (plus the door). The concrete box would have been built anyway but now it's full of guns and ammo instead of dirt.