Saturday, November 14, 2009

Trace Adkins - All I Ask For Anymore

I do understand that as a military wife you are expected to uphold a certain amount of control, but I never understood how you could do it, until now. I have figured out that you are not like other women. You are of a special breed. You have a strength within you that holds life together in the darkest of hours, a strength of which I will never possess.

This past Veteran's day, pretty much everyone remembered the Veterans (including me). The sacrifice they make is what keeps us free, and for that I'm very grateful.

Their families make a sacrifice, too, sometimes a terrible one. We should remember - and be grateful for - that, too.

We've seen Trace Adkins here before. He's a great supporter of the troops, as shown in the photo of him performing for the 2nd Stryker Cavalry in Iraq. The USO does a fine job of trying to look after the troops. It seems like someone should look after their families as well.

The home front is often forgotten, and military wives (and husbands, these days) are often left to hold things together on their own. Kate created a web site that is well worth your time, especially this. The letter is a moving tribute from one woman to another, when she finally realized what a military wife goes through. For a short moment, the home front was not forgotten, and the astonishing strength of character found there was seen.
For the reasons listed above, I can not tell you that I understand how you feel. I can not tell you that you must be strong. I can not say that you shouldn't be angry, because you "knew what you were getting into when you married a military man". I can not say these things because I have never had to walk in your shoes.

What I can say for certain is that because of your unselfish acts of bravery and your husbands willingness to stand up for those who see him as "just another soldier" - - I will never have to walk in your shoes.
This Veteran's Day weekend, I would like to thank all the military spouses - including Mom - who kept the wheels from coming off. Thank you, Kate, for posting this.

The Army Wives' Prayer

Dear LORD,
Give me the greatness of heart to see the difference between duty and his love for me. Give me understanding that I may know, when duty calls him he must go. Give me a task to do each day, to fill the time when he's away. And Lord, when he's in a foreign land, keep him safe in your loving hand. And Lord, when duty is in the field, please protect him and be his shield. And Lord, when deployment is so long, please stay with me and keep me strong. Amen.



All I ask For Anymore (Songwriters: Casey Beathard, Tim James)
It was a home run when the game was tied,
a pickup truck when I could drive,
one pink line when Katie said "I'm late".
It was a passing grade, a pretty girl.
All the money in the world
what mattered then kept changing every day.

But when I bow my head tonight
there'll be no me myself and I.
Just watch my wife and kids, please lord.
That's all I ask for any more.

Nowadays it's crazy how
a passing storm, a siren sound
can make me drop it all and pick up the phone.
To hear her say that all's okay is all I need to know these days,
Can't wait to see their faces when I get home.

When I bow my head tonight
there'll be no me myself and I.
Just watch my wife and kids, please lord.
That's all I ask for any more.

Let 'em outlive me by a hundred years.
Let their laughter dry up all their tears.
Let 'em love and be loved back like I have been.

When I bow my head tonight
there'll be no me myself and I.
Just watch my wife and kids, please lord.
That's all I ask for any more.

That's all that matters anymore.
To all in the service, thank you for your sacrifice. To the families of those in the service, we're more grateful for your sacrifice than we can say.

No comments: