Saturday, March 3, 2012

Playing tourist

The nice thing about people visiting from out of town is that you can show them around the place.  The Texas state Capitol was more interesting that I'd expected:  We had a very funny (but no-nonsense) Texas lady as a guide.  I pity anyone who tries to invade Austin - she'll put a hurt on them.


Because Texas is part of the United States of America (as opposed to barbarous Blue States), I could have carried there.  Didn't.  Yeah, I know.

We also went to the Botanical Gardens, where the Iris are spectacular:


The weather has been quite odd - cloudy and gloomy ever since she got here.  Today was glorious.  Oh, did I mention that the Iris are spectacular?


Along the way we got BBQ from the Salt Lick (darn good BBQ).  And made pizza.  I may see if she wants to go shooting, even.  She's mentioned being nervous being at home all by herself since Dad died, and even hasn't dismissed out of hand the idea of a .22 revolver.  But her memory is noticeably worse than a year ago, so that'll take some thinking on.

2 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Look! Greenery ... and bare soil. How did you manage that? We'll be lucky to see bare ground before the last week of May. Sorry; completely off-topic.

The State Capitol is one thing I missed while there - been regretting that ever since.

BobG said...

Nice photo of the iris.