Saturday, November 14, 2009

Dirty Pictures

OK, so I won't let Comedy Central sneak "Nude Demi Moore" links into an embed; as I said, I don't run that sort of joint. So are there dirty pictures that you might run across here at Borepatch? Pictures of what you'd find if you strip off that wholesome, All-American exterior covering?

Well, yes:


That's what's in your computer (maybe). The Register runs a set of pictures of dirty computers, some so filthy that it's amazing that they even turn on. Six pages of pictures, sent in by their readers.

So if TechPr0n is your bag, baby, here you go. Now if y'all will excuse me, I think I need to go take a shower ...

4 comments:

Ritchie said...

For some time it's been my habit to add extra fans and air filters to my computers. At one point I had a modified Fram air filter on my Dell.
Duct tape-it's not just for cars anymore.

Paladin said...

I remember the first time I ever opened a computer case. I was upgrading the RAM on our badly outdated first computer, in an attempt to squeeze a little more mileage out of it. In those days my Mrs. kept an Angora Rabbit in an inside hutch in the same room as the computer.

Oh.My.God....

ASM826 said...

My favorite all time mess inside a computer was a PS2/486 that a mouse had nested in. One of things the mouse had taken in was the foil wrapper off a Hershey's bar, which it laid down in such a way as to contact components on the motherboard.

#2 was a new (less than a month old) laptop that was brought to me because it would not boot. Machine looked fine externally, but when cover to the hard drive was removed, the smell of the vodka and vermouth that dripped out gave away the cause of the system failure. When questioned, the user admitted to spilling a large martini on the keyboard. She also said she tried to completely clean it up when she turned it in so that it would go back under warranty.

#3 would have been all the systems in the paper products plant I worked at in the '90s that looked just like the one the picture and worse. They would get to the point where you couldn't insert a floppy for the compressed paper dust in the drives. And all that dust? It an insulator. Cooling fans work by blowing air across metal fins called heat sinks, cover the fins, systems overheat.

NotClauswitz said...

Even my XP-box wasn't that munged!
But the floppy hasn't worked in a long time.