Friday, March 6, 2009

Tattoos jump the shark

When you think of tattoos, what comes to mind? Big, bad biker dudes. Navy Petty Officers. Wierd goth chicks.

People making a statement: I'm different. I don't conform to your silly rules. I march to a different drummer.

I've heard quite a lot of parents worry about their little princesses getting their very own "tramp stamp." Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to get tattooed ...

Well, don't worry - tattoos are so twentieth century. Everyone's getting them, which means there's no shock value any more. And by everyone, I mean even Barbie:

The new "Totally Stylin' Tattoos Barbie" comes with a set of body art stickers to be placed anywhere on her body.

The set also comes with a tattoo gun so kids can stamp designs on themselves.

Manufacturer Mattel says the tattoos for children are temporary and wash off.

No word if one of the designs says "Semper Fi."

I say that everyone can stand down. If even Barbie is doing it, then there's no rebellion value. It's like the sons of hippies - they only way that they can rebel against mom and dad is to enlist.

I have to say, Barbie's looking pretty good for a lady of fifty. Even with a tramp stamp.

7 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

Damn, now I'm really not going to get one.

Anonymous said...

I'm a 21 year Navy vet and retired as a Chief, a biker (not the "$20,000 and 20 miles" type or the kind that has a motorcycle in the garage that comes out on weekends if it's not raining and the temp's above 60...I've been riding most of my life, put more miles on my bike than my truck every year and have, for several long stretches, lived with my motorcycle as my only means of transportation) and a certified Redneck.

I don't have a single tatoo for that very reason.

I didn't get one while I was in the Navy because everyone had them. I always thought I'd get one after retiring to commemorate my service...but there are simply too many posers and wanna-be's that have them these days. It's hardly a statement of individualism or rebellion like it was 30 or 40 years ago...now it's just another sign that you follow along with the crowd like a good little sheep.

NOT having tattoos is my statement of individualism.

Lissa said...

Ted, are you going to the Hilltop dinner on Saturday? Remind me to show you my tattoo. :)

Borepatch said...

Sailorcurt, the herd is certainly predictable.

Lissa, you're going to make me blush ...

Weer'd Beard said...

30 years old, no tattoos, no piercings.

Very few of me out there!

Angus McThag said...

I chose my ink carefully, it means something to me and isn't to show how cool I am to the world.

In fact, every single tattoo is covered by dress casual.

Every pierce but the ear is likewise hidden.

I want to be able to work in the white collar world.

TJIC said...

@sailorcurt:

> NOT having tattoos is my statement of individualism.

Awesome.