Thursday, February 21, 2019

The first steam locomotive - 215 years ago

On this day in 1804, Richard Trevithick debuted the world's first self propelled steam locomotive at the Welsh iron mill at Pen-y-Darren.  It pulled five cars loaded with ten tons of iron and around 70 iron workers nine miles, at a speed of five miles per hour.  It was so heavy that after three trips its weight broke the rails and it ended its life as a stationary steam engine.

It was followed with other - and better - locomotives: The Rocket, The Flying Scotsman, The Mallard, the Shinkansen and the TGV.  But it was the first, which is what we remember.  This is a reproduction.



There is a magic to all of this.  Castle Borepatch lies near (but not too near) a trunk line and it's possible in the dead of night to listen to the horn of the Night Train.  It's the sound of nostalgia.  Sure, airliners get you there faster but I'm not sure that anyone ever wrote a song like this for a Boeing.

7 comments:

ProudHillbilly said...

I haven't lived where I couldn't hear a train since early 60s. True, I have to have the windows open now to catch the sound from the valley, but...trains...

Old NFO said...

I live a mile from the tracks. It's a comforting sound to hear!

Raptor said...

No love for the GS-4?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Night_session_june_23_2011_033xRP_-_Flickr_-_drewj1946.jpg

waepnedmann said...

The midnight train is sounding low.
I'm so lonesome I could cry.
-Hank

ASM826 said...

I hear that train a comin'...

homebru said...

In a previous life I was stationed at Keesler AFB. The base theater there, The Dargue, announced imminent start of feature by playing a trombone intro into Night Train. I can't be sure but I think it's Buddy Morrow. That trombone is, to me, closer to the real train than a sax could ever be.

Sean D Sorrentino said...

I have a professional interest in things like this. I'm happy to see that this reproduction has a very modern safety valve on top. I could almost read the data plate on it.