Monday, October 8, 2018

Sgt. York took the machine gun nest 100 years ago

It's quite a story.  And I agree 100% on this:
Some people may ask why we don't have heroes like this in today's military. The answer is that we do still have such men but the media today just doesn't celebrate them like they used to.
I hadn't known that he had tried to re-enlist in World War II.  Overweight and out of shape at 54 years old, the Army didn't take him in the combat units but they did commission him as a Major in the Signal Corps and he did speaking tours throughout the war.  So we should call him "Major York" - except he was commissioned as a Colonel in the Tennessee National Guard so it's really "Colonel York".

I also hadn't known that he used his earnings from the Gary Cooper 1941 film about him to found a Bible School.

His was a much more interesting story than I had imagined, and it's too bad it took so long for me to learn it.

1 comment:

LindaG said...

Thanks for this post. I was not aware of that, either.