Wednesday, March 14, 2018

R.I.P. Stephen Hawking

Yes, I had his book.  Everyone remembers him from his life in a wheelchair after being struck with ALS, and how long he lasted (not years but decades).  His many cameo appearances on "Big Bank Theory" didn't hurt his fame, either.

What I remember is the first time I heard of him.  Jerry Pournelle (no doubt in his "A Step Farther Out" column in Galaxy Magazine) described a 1970s lecture at Cal Tech as "An evening of Lovecraftian horror" as Hawking described Black Holes that evaporate due to quantum leakage, leaving behind naked singularities.  His description of Hawking's wit in the days before he was struck by that disease was vivid, and has stuck with me all these years.

In case you were wondering, here he is in 1970, in the peak of health.


Rest In Peace, Dr. Hawking.

3 comments:

ASM826 said...

I'll never forget his appearances on Family Guy.

Ed Bonderenka said...

Well, he made an important discovery today.

Old NFO said...

He made it MANY years longer than anyone expected. May he truly rest in peace, it's well deserved.