Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Geburtstag

The return of my birthday, if I remember it, fills me with thoughts which it seems to be the general care of humanity to escape.
- Samuel Johnson
I never much cared for birthdays at least after young childhood when you don't know any better.  I've never much liked people making a fuss over me which makes the whole cake and singing bit pretty cringeworthy.  This is odd because I love birthdays for other people and making a fuss over them.  Hey I never said that I was consistent.

Perhaps it's the German Shepherd guard dog instinct, that focuses me outwards.  I find it easy to sacrifice for the family, to give u something that I'd like so that they can have something that they'd like instead.  In fact this is usually gives me more enjoyment than them giving up something for me.

This year, I find that I'd like that M1 Garand.  But tuition needs to be paid and college textbooks don't buy themselves, and we need to add #2 Son to our car insurance.  And so I'll reset until Christmas.  Maybe.  There may be other things that need doing then, too.  And in any case, after a year away from the family, it seems that a family dinner will make a fine birthday present.

Well, that's my story.

10 comments:

Dave H said...

I'm much the same, and it worked out well when I was married because my wife loved having people make a fuss over her. Now I'm engaged to a lady who's like me, and it gets a little awkward around birthdays because neither of us wants to be treated that way.

libertyman said...

Well, Happy Birthday anyway!

Borepatch said...

Thanks, Libertyman.

Rev. Paul said...

I hope it's a happy day anyway, sir. Good days are always in order.

RabidAlien said...

Heh. I know the feelin. I have a perfect marriage...I'd do anything or give up anything to make my wife happy, and she'd do anything to help me do that. LOL

Happy birthday, bro! I especially hate the whole "singing to me in a restaurant" thing. :shudders:

North said...

Ugh. One year my wife called a service that sends "singing telegrams" as a b-day present. She knew that they send scantily-clad hot chicks to deliver balloons. So she paid up to have that done to me AT WORK.

She asked me later that night about the busty balloon delivery. I had her repeat the conversation she had when ordering the service. At one point they asked her if "substitution" was OK. Apparently she thought they would be substituting a hot redhead for a hot blond, or something.

I got a hot brunette. If that is what you call a gorilla costume...

NotClauswitz said...

Me either! Or even my Blogversary.

Aaron said...

Happy Birthday! Remember, it's not the years, its the mileage.

Anonymous said...

Geburtstag? 誕生日おめでとうございます! Because yes, that's why.

::scotaku

doubletrouble said...

HBD bud!