Friday, February 16, 2024

Rest In Peace, sniper

SGT Chuck Mawhinney - the greatest Marine Corps sniper ever - has reported to the final muster.  As always, Dwight has the writeup (highly recommended).

What struck me was what he did when he came back from Vietnam.  Seeing how other veterans were treated, he pretty much dropped the whole military thing - he got a job with the Forest Service, hunted and shot trap, married and had kids, and seems to have been one of the solid, quiet, dependable community guys.

Then his story came out in the 1990s when the country was ready to treat the 'Nam vets right.  He got some much deserved recognition then, but the years before strike me as nothing so much as a sniper knowing how not to be seen.

103 confirmed kills with another 216 probables.  Wow.

Rest in peace, Sargent.

Now get on over to Dwight's place and read the amazing story.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the thing that impresses me the most is, when he did start getting attention, he used it to advance the cause of other vets.

“We were all there together. If I have to take recognition for it, that’s OK, because every time I talk to someone, I can talk about the vets. It gives me an opportunity to talk about what a great job they did.”

==Dwight

libertyman said...

Where will we find such men today?

Old NFO said...

Agree with Unk. He used his 'fame' for the right reasons, to help all his compatriots.

Jeffery in Alabama said...

I remember when he stepped forward at took the place he deserved. Many did not think the story was true when it first broke.
I ordered the book tonight.
RIP