Saturday, January 14, 2017

Old Dominion - Song for Another Time

Image via Rolling Stone
What is "real Country music"?  That's a question that is evergreen, and like sports rivalries will get the debate going hotter than a hoochie coochie.  Long time readers here will know that I tend to fall on the traditional to middle of the road side of things: Waylon, Travis Tritt, Today Keith.

But sometimes I wander into the brambles of the current over-produced Nashville pop.  A while back I posted a mashup of 5 top Country hits which showed that they're really the same song.  You can just see Pistolero rolling his eyes now.

But every now and then I run across one that I like.  I like this one a lot.  Old Dominion got their start writing songs for other artists (The Band Perry and Chris Young, for example).  They started touring with bigger names singing their songs.  When they were opening for Kenny Chesney, they had the idea for a breakup song where they lyrics told the story with a bunch of song titles.  The way they take these titles and knit the together to paint a picture is something that I think is very clever; add in a catchy upbeat rock tune and you have what really can only be described as the best of the modern Nashville.  It's just plain fun.

Even if it hit #1 on the Billboard Country chart.

And as a note to Pistolero - there's a Hank Sr and a Willie song in here, so shake not thy gory locks at me ...


Song For Another Time (Songwriters: Brad Tursi, Matt Jenkins, Matthew Ramsey, Trevor Rosen)
Right now we both know
We're Marina Del Ray
Planes gonna fly away
And you'll be on it
And by this time tomorrow
I'll be singing yesterday
The sunshine's gonna fade
And we can't stop it
So before we turn in
I can't make you love me
Let's be brown eyed girl sweet Caroline
Free fall small town Saturday night
Before you lose that loving feeling
Let's go dancing on the ceiling
Keep on living that teenage dream
Paradise city where the grass is green
Pretty soon I'll be so lonesome I could cry
But that's a song for another time
Just for one more day what do you say
Baby be my pretty woman
'Cause we know Sunday morning's coming down
Let's take a drive you and I down some old country road
Talk about growing old in one of those pink houses
Yeah we might be a candle in the wind
But let's pretend we're
Brown eyed girl sweet Caroline
Free fall small town Saturday night
Before you lose that loving feeling
Let's go dancing on the ceiling
Keep on living that teenage dream,
Paradise city where the grass is green
Pretty soon you will be always on my mind
But that's a song for another time
So before we're singing I will always love you
Let's sing
Brown eyed girl sweet Caroline
Free fall small town Saturday night
Before you lose that loving feeling
Let's go dancing on the ceiling
Keep on living that teenage dream,
Paradise city where the grass is green
Pretty soon I'll be so lonesome I could cry
But that's a song for another time
Yeah, that's a song for another time (brown eyed girl sweet Caroline)
Yeah, that's a song for another time (free fall small town Saturday night)
Yeah, that's a song for another time

3 comments:

libertyman said...

Nice music - lots of song references in there!

How can anyone watch that video though? No wonder kids have today the attention span of a hamster.

Anonymous said...

Meh. Not something I'd turn off Jason Boland or the Turnpike Troubadours for, but not THAT bad. ;-) I'm just not big on what sounds like a drum machine & autotune.

Cap'n Jan said...

Seems incoherent... But then I am just a simple banjo/fiddle playing country girl and I may be missing the deep literary references... eh?

There's an old saw that goes something like "I used to love playing Celtic music, it was so rich and varied, and then I realized it all sounded alike.. But then I kept playing and found that, no, it really is rich and varied." This is true of all forms of music, country, rock, whatEVAR. (Baroque? Don't get me started...)

Country tunes (in particular back porch gospel/bluegrass) have to a lesser or greater degree a conduit to old Celtic music that came to us through the sieve of immigration and long isolation in the backwoods of flyover country. Listen to Patty Loveless sing Daniel Prayed with Ricky Skaggs... You can almost hear the Uilleann pipes reproduced with their voices. Probably all sounds alike to you.