Saturday, August 1, 2015

Thoughts on getting the house ready to sell

I'm getting Camp Borepatch ready to sell - the boys are getting their own swinging bachelor pad and Wolfgang and I would be rattling around in a big ol' empty place.  Plus, the market is roaring here in the ATL, and for once in my life I want to see what it's like to sell a house in an an up market.

And so I'm going through room-by-room clearing out junk and setting things up so that the house will show well.  I've discovered some interesting things:
  • I have boxes that I've never unpacked since moving here from Mordor on the Charles Massachussets.  "Boxes", as in plural.
  • I've discovered that the empty downstairs room that has the freezer and a fridge for the kids will make a dandy shop.  The table saw and other implements of destruction have decamped there.
  • I'm filling a Bagster with junk.  Bagsters are the shiznit.  I may get another before I'm done.
  • Crews (plumbing, landscaping, etc) are OK when you're (ahem) of a certain age.
  • I kind of think that I'm doing what's called "decorating".  I wasn't allowed to do that in the past ...
All in all, things are proceeding.  It's a bit odd to think that I will soon end up in the same situation where I was at FOB Borepatch - on my own, away from the family, only permanently this time.  It's very odd that I'm looking forward to this.

9 comments:

Bob said...

Good luck with it!

libertyman said...

Rule of thumb is one cubic yard of dumpster per year of home occupation.
Is there a condo in your future?

Borepatch said...

Don't know, Libertyman. I guess we'll see.

Anonymous said...

While at FOB Borepatch, you were deployed away from home station.

Your new residence will be a PCS move. It makes a difference.

Comrade Misfit said...

For selling a place, declutter, declutter, declutter. Open space looks larger, rooms with a lot of furniture look smaller. Storage lockers are yer fren'.

And if you have any rooms painted oddball colors, repaint them.

ProudHillbilly said...

The inside of storage areas in a house are larger than the outside. Whichbis why I've seorn that my next move will involve a can of gasoline and a match...

libertyman said...

I lived in a condo for 22 years, I have a house now. But I may go back to the condo idea if the timing is right. I would look for a stand alone condo. And probably an "over 55" situation.
But I think you have to wait a few years to go there!

Will said...

Don't waste time getting it ready to sell. The (world) economy could tank at any time.

Normally houses sell quick around here (Silicon Valley), quite often for more than list. A house across the street was being shown for over a month, recently. A different realtor name showed up after a month, and now the sign is gone, but it never said "sold". It was vacant during the sale, and still is.

Mrs. Bitchpatch #1 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.