Saturday, July 24, 2010

Avenged Sevenfold - Dear God

What's the "Real Country Music"? You could focus on the instruments - fiddles, slide guitars, mandolins - but that's looking at the surface, not the depths. You could look at the props - cowboy hats, pickup trucks, belt buckles - but any poser can wear those. A lot do.

Not everyone will agree with me, but a lot of the depth of the "Real Country Music" comes from the sentiment - the fears, aspirations, hopes - of regular working people trying to make their way in a tough world. The road warrior missing their family (think Lonestar and I'm Already There). Worrying about your family, and praying for their safety (think Jason Aldean and "Amarillo Sky" - Let my crops and children grow). About the human condition, and people's struggle to make their peace with it.

#1 Son said he had a band for Saturday Redneck that fit this bill. A screamo/deathmetal band. Avenged Sevenfold.

I see you rolling your eyes, but give it a listen. It's actually entirely lacking in screaming, and isn't what I'd call metal. But it hits all the right feelings that a good country song does.



Dear God (Songwriters: Baker, James, Haner, Elwin, Sanders, Charles, Owen, Sullivan)
A lonely road, crossed another cold state line
Miles away from those I love
Purpose hard to find
While I recall all the words you spoke to me
Can't help but wish that I was there
Back where I'd love to be, oh yeah

Dear God the only thing I ask of you
Is to hold her when I'm not around
When I'm much too far away
We all need that person who can be true to you
But I left her when I found her
And now I wish I'd stayed
'Cause I'm lonely and I'm tired
I'm missing you again, oh no
Once again

There's nothing here for me on this barren road
There's no one here while the city sleeps
And all the shops are closed
Can't help but think of the times I've had with you
Pictures and some memories will have to help me through, oh yeah

Dear God the only thing I ask of you is
To hold her when I'm not around,
When I'm much too far away
We all need that person who can be true to you
I left her when I found her
And now I wish I'd stayed
'Cause I'm lonely and I'm tired
I'm missing you again oh no
Once again

Some search, never finding a way
Before long, they waste away
I found you, something told me to stay
I gave in, to selfish ways
And how I miss someone to hold
When hope begins to fade...

A lonely road, crossed another cold state line
Miles away from those I love
Hope is hard to find

Dear God the only thing I ask of you is
To hold her when I'm not around,
When I'm much too far away
We all need the person who can be true to you
I left her when I found her
And now I wish I'd stayed
'Cause I'm lonely and I'm tired
I'm missing you again oh no
Once again
Like I said, not all of you will agree with me. I sometimes look at the world with expansive definitions. But if you're looking for a song about the human condition that would drop seamlessly into a performance - tricked out with steel guitars, boots, and all those trappings - this here's the one.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a shame.

That really is a good song. The lyrics are great, the instrumentals are superb.

Too bad about the whiny, nasally, emo little-boy voice the lead singer uses.

Actually sounds like he's got a good set of pipes in there if he ever figures out how to sing like a man rather than a 12 year old boy.

Also, I can do without the "my parents didn't pay enough attention to me as a child, please notice me" look that they've all adopted. Maybe that's just part of their schtick...it seems to be pretty popular with the kids...but they sure do look comfortable in their highly cultivated, sculptured angst, so I doubt it.

But other than that, I have to agree with you.

Lee King said...

I like it and I'm sending the link to my teenaged son.

Anonymous said...

You know...I came back and read my comment again and I really didn't intend for it to sound as harsh as it did.

I really did like the song and my criticism was supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek and lighthearted.

It didn't come across that way at all and I apologize to the musicians and to the youth of America whom I may have offended.

I actually can be kind of a jerk in real life, but not THAT much of one.

I hope.

Borepatch said...

Curt, I took your comment the way you originally meant it. Matter of fact, I read it to #1 Son, and he laughed.

BUFF_dragon said...

I'm a big fan of theirs, have seen them in concert twice and they're even better live.
Their song Critical Acclaim has some really good lines in it as well. Warmness of the Soul is the soundtrack of our wedding DVD..... (The paleographer wouldn't put Crazy Bitch in the credits no matter how hard we tried to get him to)

BUFF_dragon said...

Forgot to mention, their new album comes out tomorrow.... YAY!!!!

An Angry Sevenfold Fan said...

if it was 2010 and i seen this in 2010 then i would’ve drone struck your house