Saturday, December 22, 2018

Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash - Jackson



The Queen Of The World and I have started going to our local watering hole for Karaoke Night.  It's surprisingly fun and while there are the expected number of performers with more ego than talent there are also a surprising number of people who are quite good.  Our favorite waitress is one, who absolutely crushes Reba's "Why Haven't I Heard From You".

As it turns out, Johnny Cash's songs are right in my wheel house (err, vocal range).  The QOTW doesn't perform but she likes it when I do.  So that means Johnny Cash as I figure out what else I can do without embarrassing myself.  Last night I did this with the waitress, to general acclaim.

Which is not surprising because it's a fun song.  Johnny and June won a Grammy for this in 1967, and you can see them having a ball singing it with each other.



Jackson (Songwriters: Billy Edd Wheeler, Jerry Leiber)
We got married in a fever, hotter than a pepper sprout,
We've been talkin' 'bout Jackson, ever since the fire went out.
I'm goin' to Jackson, I'm gonna mess around,
Yeah, I'm goin' to Jackson,
Look out Jackson town. 
Well, go on down to Jackson; go ahead and wreck your health.
Go play your hand you big-talkin' man, make a big fool of yourself,
You're goin' to Jackson; go comb your hair!
Honey, I'm gonna snowball Jackson.
See if I care. 
When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow. (Hah!)
All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how,
I'm goin' to Jackson, you turn-a loose-a my coat.
'Cos I'm goin' to Jackson.
"Goodbye," that's all she wrote. 
But they'll laugh at you in Jackson, and I'll be dancin' on a Pony Keg.
They'll lead you 'round town like a scalded hound,
With your tail tucked between your legs,
You're goin' to Jackson, you big-talkin' man.
And I'll be waitin' in Jackson, behind my Jaypan Fan, 
Well now, we got married in a fever, hotter than a pepper Sprout,
We've been talkin' 'bout Jackson, ever since the fire went out.
I'm goin' to Jackson, and that's a fact.
Yeah, we're goin' to Jackson, ain't never comin' back.



3 comments:

libertyman said...

Loved Reba's version -- what fun!!

waepnedmann said...

I have a grandson-in-law whose rendition of Ring of Fire would Johnny Cash refuse to follow him on stage and the GGSIL would not even have to burn his guitar.
Since he is a 6'-3" Viking it kind of hits you like the unexpected realization in a haiku when he puts his feelings out there.

Many years ago I saw June Carter Cash perform Ring of Fire with the only accompaniment being her own-self playing a rustic three string harp.
She killed it!

Johnny Cash's version sounds like his accompaniment is Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. I could do without the horns.

I have not found Carter's version on video, so it may have been a live broadcast. I recall it was in black and white and very grainy, but that may have been the available technology both sending and receiving at that time.

waepnedmann said...

...would cause...

Proofreading and editing are good things.
I cannot even blame it on the Auto-Correct demon.